Nielsen Commotio

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

DaveF
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Nielsen Commotio

Post by DaveF »

I've just acquired a score of Nielsen's Commotio for organ and was wondering about the copyright situation. The footer to the first page of music says "Copyright 1932 by Sanfundet til Udgivelse af dansk Musik, København". The cover, however, says "1954 - 2. Oplag" (i.e. 2nd impression/edition - my Danish dictionary gives both possibilities). There's no copyright notice relating to this 2nd edition, which I can't believe is any different from the 1st - Emil Telmanyi's editorial notes in the Foreword are dated 1932. I'm having difficulty searching the U.S. Copyright Office's records for the relevant period; their own site says they are on card index only, although I've searched a few years on from 1954 in the copyright renewal volumes on Project Gutenberg and found no mention of Nielsen. Is it safe to scan and post?

DF
audunsj
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Nielsen Commotio

Post by audunsj »

"2. oplag" means 2nd printing (i.e. they were sold out and needed to print more, or this could also mean that some obvious errors has been corrected). This does not inflict with the copyright in scandinavia at least.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Nielsen Commotio

Post by Carolus »

I have good news for you. This work must not have been renewed in 1960, and an NIE must not have been filed as it is presently available in reprint from Masters Music. It's almost certainly free in the USA (as well as both Canada and the EU). Post away.