Zdzislaw Jahnke

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Zdzislaw Jahnke

Post by KGill »

Does anyone know when this guy died? I can't seem to find anything on him, except that he held administrative positions in a Polish musical organization in the '30s and '40s.
The reason that I ask is because it seems that there's no violin part of the Wieniawski Legende on this site, and I have a 'Masters Music Publications' copy with his annotations (as the score itself puts it). Actually, I'm not even certain the score is legal to upload since at the end of the piano score, it says 'November 1993'. Not sure if that means it was edited in 1993 or reprinted, etc.
So what would you advise?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Zdzislaw Jahnke

Post by KGill »

OK, I looked harder (meaning on non-English sites) and found that he lived from 1895 to 1972. So I guess it was edited at an unspecified point and reprinted in 1993. There's no copyright page in the score- would the date 'November 1993' at the end of the piano score signify renewed copyright? Because there's no explicit indication of what the date might mean.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

OK, the Masters reprint (dated November 1993) is still available (M2179), which means the edition is free in the USA. Masters put the month and year of the reprint on the last page for a time, though I think they've stopped doing that in recent years. Since PWM was a state enterprise, and Jahnke was most likely preparing this edition as an employee thereof, the edition might be free in other countries as well. It could also qualify as an "urtext" style edition, since Wieniawski often included plenty of fingerings, slurs and articulations in his own work. Post it and we'll take a look.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

The part is now on IMSLP. And, since it's a reprint, how would I go about finding the PWM number (if I have to)? On the PWM site, they don't appear to offer Jahnke's edition.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

You'd have to look it up in a library catalog, or WorldCat if you happen to have access to it.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I don't. I guess the PWM plate doesn't matter so much if the reprint is cited. Especially if a date is estimated, as it has been edited to be.
Thanks!