Gaetano Donizetti - Clarinet Concertino

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

tilmaen
forum adept

Gaetano Donizetti - Clarinet Concertino

Post by tilmaen »

Hi Folks!

For our orchestra I digitalized the Donizetti Clarinet Concertino by scanning a complete score with OCR. The piece itself is not under copyright (1848), but i guess the articulations of the edition i scanned are.
The question is: if i remove all the articulations from the score and add my own (wich of course are way better than the "original" ones) - is it then ok to upload it under the creative commons license? After all the edition should (without the articulations) be corresponding to the Urtext-Edition which is being sold by the same publisher.

greetings
tilmaen
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Gaetano Donizetti - Clarinet Concertino

Post by steltz »

Your edition, presumably if it was for your orchestra, it includes all the orchestral parts?

And a related question -- ABRSM publishing does an edition of the piano reduction (first movement only), but "reconstructed by Raymon Meylan". Do you know enough of the history of the piece to know why it needed reconstructing? Was it unfinished?

Thanks.
bsteltz
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

I'm sorry - i don't know anything about ABRSM - we don't usually take these Exams here in Germany.
And yes - i used the complete score and created parts for each instrument. The concertino i'm talking about doesnt have any movments - it's a little 5 minute piece (http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/17706066) . the only information i found is that supposedly there is an urtext-edition.

regardles of whether "Bernhard Päuler" published the score - he probably can't claim a copyright on the correct notes (pitch). Correct me if i'm wrong...

greetings
tilmaen
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I'll just jump in to say that we have to be very careful about posting any type of reconstruction here. In contrast to Urtext editions, which have only a limited term in many places, reconstructions are treated just like a new original composition - 50pma/70pma of the author of the reconstruction. Most are under copyright worldwide.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I have looked into this further, and have found 2 recordings: Koch Schwann just has the Allegretto movement, which I'd bet is what tilmaen has.

The Naxos recording has an Andante Sostenuto and an Allegretto, the Andante Sostenuto being the movement that ABRSM publishes in a reconstruction. The Naxos notes state:

"The present version of Donizetti's Concertino for clarinet and orchestra is an attempt to reconstruct the original form of the work from sketches in the composer's own hand for the first movement (middle part of Ms.4144, Bibliotheque Nationale), entitled Esquisse pour hautbois and for the second movement the Museo Donizettiano Mss. Nos. 1 2a (score) and 12a Ccl (piano reduction). The reconstruction has attempted to link the two movements, with additions, transposition and scoring of the first movement and a critical revision of the very defective material for the second movement."

There is nothing in the notes to explain why a movement for oboe would be considered to be the first movement to a Clarinet Concertino, but obviously tilmaen wouldn't have any links from this to his movement either. The reference to transposition would undoubtedly be that the oboe part would have to be transposed to be played on clarinet, so this wouldn't be relevant.

The only reference to changes in the second movement is to "the very defective material", although exactly what the editor considered defective isn't specified either. If tilmaen's score is original, it will be definitely not be this critical revision, so quite possibly his material is OK.

Tilmaen, what is the source of your score, and is it the Allegretto movement?
bsteltz
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

i only have the scans on my computer - missing the cover page and the piece information, of course. i will get it from our conductor on wednesday, after which i'll give you an update as to what the smallprint in the score says. and yes - it's the allegretto movement.

greetings
tilmaen
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

I checked the score today - unfortunately it says Edited by Bernhard Päuler. also in the score there is a note (translated)

For this work there is a corresponding Urtext-Edition by the Eulenburg Collection - Nr. 10040a, published by the same company.

i guess i can't upload it until i check whether the score i have differs siginifcantly from the Urtext-Score (10040a). as soon as i can get my hands on that score i'll upload it.

greetings.

tilmaen
noqu
forum adept

Post by noqu »

Just wanted to mention how much I appreciate it that you go to so much trouble to have your work uploaded here. I am eagerly looking forward to the piece.