Arrangement of Weber Violin Sonata No. 1

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Arrangement of Weber Violin Sonata No. 1

Post by allegroamabile »

I arranged this sonata for clarinet from a G. Henle Verlang edition containing all Six Progressive Sonatas for Piano and Violin, Op. 10b. The copyright reads 1965/1993. I transcribed the violin part to clarinet in b-flat on manuscript paper. I will not include the piano part. May I have the go to upload it?

Anyways, I remember seeing all six sonatas before IMSLP went offline. What happened to them?

Thanks
allegroamabile
active poster

Re: Arrangement of Weber Violin Sonata No. 1

Post by allegroamabile »

Can anyone please reply?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The crucial question that has to be answered is: What were the extent of the Henle editor's contributions? The Weber sonatas were probably all in print long before Henle issued their edition in 1965. If your transcription includes items added by the Henle editor which are original to him, there's a copyright problem. On the other hand, if all the editor did was to correct some errors and add material present in public domain sources (like manuscripts and earlier published editions), there is no problem with your transcription. If the specific work in question was only published for the first time in 1965, the copyright issue surfaces again.

Since the original piece is a Sonata for Violin and Piano, the piano part was composed by Weber, not the editor of the Henle edition. You are free to enter the piano part (in a notation program) as part of your transcription as long as you leave out any original contributions made by the Henle editor.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

The published edition did not make crucial changes to the original work. I know this because I have a mp3 of Leonid Kogan playing the sonatas which were recorded before 1965 and his playing is not too different from the Henle edition. As I said, I used manuscript paper to make the arrangement for clarinet therefore not using a notation program. If I were to upload the piano part, I would have to copy the according score by hand.

thank you for your time