Mozart Oboe Concerto KV 314

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

tilmaen
forum adept

Mozart Oboe Concerto KV 314

Post by tilmaen »

Hi people,

i have the score to Mozarts Oboe concerto, which isnt uploaded yet. Albrecht Mayer was in town and i was fortunate enough to visit his master-class. Amazing oboist with great ideas. anyways: i was wondering whether or not i can upload the Score, which has a copyright dated 1948 in the US. (B.&H. 16417) (-> i could only find 16427 - maybe a typing error in worldcat). The guy who edited and supposedly first published it - Bernhard Paumgartner - lived 1887-1971. would we have to wait until 2021 until we could upload it under canadian copyright laws, or are we fine already?

thanks,

greetings
tilmaen
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Mozart Oboe Concerto KV 314

Post by daphnis »

Nope, we'd have to wait, sorry. Otherwise I would have posted it long ago.
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

damn it. wonderful piece.
what if i scan the music, remove all the slurs, staccato etc.
re-layout the whole thing and apply my own articulations, which (of course) are a lot better anyways :D? i could even incorporate some things albrecht mayer said in his master class. wouldn't that be different enough from Paumgartners version? cauze if that were an option i would do so this summer.

greetings
tilmaen
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

So, the work (K. 314) was completely unpublished in any form whatsoever until 1948? If so, there there is a problem in the USA, as it will likely be protected until 2044. In Canada, it's been over 50 years so the only things under copyright would be whatever was added by Paumgartner. Same thing in the EU, where Editio Princeps is good for only 25 years. If you can find a pre-1923 publication of the work - in a manuscript facsimile, edition, or an arrangement, there is a very strong possibility that you could strip away all of Paumgartner's contributions and make your own edition in the USA as well.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

I don´t understand the discussion. The work is available via www.nma.at . Or do you mean
the piano reduction?

Notenschreiber
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

thats the point - it's only availible at NMA. horrible scan quality - no PDF - usability=0. No Solo part. no piano reduction.
all these things could be done on IMSLP.

greetings.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

Hi,

one can easily create PDF´s at NMA, just click "Inhaltsverzeichnis" . I could upload the score of NMA to IMSLP, but I
don´t know if something has to be cleaned up in order of copyright questions. On the other hand, there is a
project on IMSLP concerning NMA, so some day the score of NMA will appear anyway.
But I can extract the solo voice in a few days.

Greetings Notenschreiber
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

Hi

i found this : http://dme.mozarteum.at/DME/nma/nma_con ... 8&l=1&p1=7 in the NMA - a critical report on the Oboe concerto. it includes a section with all the changes made by the editor. so i guess if i digitalize the NMA edition, take out all the changes and rearrange the music (e.g. better layout) there shouldnt be any copyright infringements.
i will start working on it this summer vacation - as soon as i'm 100% sure i'm not infringing someones copyright.

@ notenschreiber: sorry - you were right one can access the PDF files. i couldnt find it because i followed the direct link from wikipedia - not the search form from the NMA website. however i would still like to have a public domain edition of this wonderful piece on the IMSLP. It's all about having a reportoire as complete as possible. also when i digitalize the music i could create instrument parts so orchestras could play the piece using the music from IMSLP.

greetings
tilmaen
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

As I've mentioned before, as long as you remove any editorial contributions that are original creations of the editor - things not found in any other public domain source - you are completely free to use the material found in the NMA and similar editions for new typesets. For example, articulations and dynamics which are taken from an early published score and inserted into a full score (even if absent in the manuscript full score) are perfectly permissible as they are not original contributions on the part of the editor, but merely taken from another public domain source. Reconstructions, continuo realizations, and similar items are the type of thing that should be avoided, along with any dynamics, articulations and fingerings which have been made by the editor.