Salabert Chopin

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Salabert Chopin

Post by KGill »

I'm thinking about starting to (only starting to) scan the Cortot edition of the Chopin Etudes, which at first glance appeared to be from 1914 (that's when Cortot dated it). However, closer inspection has revealed:
Copyright by Editions Maurice Senart 1917
Copyright by Editions Maurice Senart 1930
Copyright by Editions Salabert 1951
In addition, the English translation is by 'M. Parkinson'. So does this mean that only the translated edition was copyrighted in 1951? And if so, why on earth do they have the additional copyright of 1930?
This is obviously far from being an urtext edition, so I'm a little concerned about the 1951 copyright...
This is far from urgent, but I'd sort of like to get someone's opinion anyway, since it's a large project. Thanks.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Salabert Chopin

Post by vinteuil »

Well, it doesn't matter - Cortot isn't PD in Canada or EU (sorry!)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I meant that I would upload them in 2013. (It takes me a while to scan things. :) )
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

To my knowledge Senart/Salabert did a lot of copyfraud and placed new copyright dates on reprints. However, you should make sure that what's in front of you is really a reprint and that there is no alteration or correction in the print, as Cortot was still living at that time - this will of course only matter for the US copyright, for Canada everything will be in PD. But simply reissuing a score does not qualify for new copyright.

I think it is safe to look at the translation as copyrighted on its own. So you'll maybe have to leave the translated introduction out, and also the translated in-score comments. Dating the translation will require a little more research.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Too bad...for me, the point of scanning this would be to get Cortot's suggestions/edits. Maybe I should look for the original 1917 nontranslated Senart edition- although I predict that would be nearly hopeless.
Glancing around, it would appear that the 1951 copyright is indeed a fraud and that the real one is 1930, but that still doesn't help too much, especially since I have no idea of the dates of the translator (since it's such a common name).
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I know someone who has the Cortot edition of the nocturnes. I'll check whether we can find any clues there if it would be an untranslated verison.