Fux - Costanza e fortezza

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Fux - Costanza e fortezza

Post by homerdundas »

Title:Costanza e fortezza
Composer: Johann Joseph Fux
Editor:Wellesz, Egon Joseph (1885-1974)
Publisher: Akademische Druckund Verlagsantalt, 1959
Series: Denkmäler der Tonkunst in Österreich

from Univeristy Music Editions microfiche set 1970s

Does this qualify as Urtext (25 years) or must we wait until 1974+50 (Can.) / 1974+70 (EU.)?
Thanks.

Added matter: Probably a reprint of original 1910 edition.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Re: Fux - Costanza e fortezza

Post by vinteuil »

Well, urtext = 0 years in Canada.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Since it was first issued in 1910, it's free in the USA. (Date of reprint is irrelevant.). Since the whole of DTO is urtext, it's no more than 30 years from publication at most for the EU (Editor's dates don't apply for uretxt). Canada doesn't even recognize urtext, though IMSLP - solely out of a desire to be polite to publishers - observes a voluntary 25-year limit on such urtext editions. So, upload away. It's fair game, and the hunt's afoot.
homerdundas
active poster

Post by homerdundas »

Excellent!!!! I will post it in the coming week or so.

An 'academic' question...
Now URTEXT ... this strictly means sort of "exact text" - exactly as the composer wrote, doesn't it? I did notice, in my travels, that some of the works in Denmahler der Tonkunst have had the figured bass lines realized by someone modern. That wouldn't be strictly 'exact' any more. Would that matter?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Yes, it can be a problem. A realization of a continuo part is actually an original contribution by an editor, though the EU laws apparently lump it in with the urtext category - which is why there are editions with realized continuo parts posted over at BSB where the editor is still alive (even though the edition is more than 25 years old). So, you'll have to determine who made the realization and list this in the misc. comments field so the taggers can apply the life-plus-rule for those cases. Avoid any realizations made by those dead less than 50 years. There have been cases where urtext editors have supplied a contemporaneous written-out continuo realization, but those are rare.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Carolus wrote:Yes, it can be a problem. A realization of a continuo part is actually an original contribution by an editor, though the EU laws apparently lump it in with the urtext category - which is why there are editions with realized continuo parts posted over at BSB where the editor is still alive (even though the edition is more than 25 years old). So, you'll have to determine who made the realization and list this in the misc. comments field so the taggers can apply the life-plus-rule for those cases. Avoid any realizations made by those dead less than 50 years. There have been cases where urtext editors have supplied a contemporaneous written-out continuo realization, but those are rare.
Wouldn't an alternative be to edit each page of the edition after scanning so that the continuo realization is omitted?

By the way, I think I know what "BSB" is, but not all readers of this thread would. :wink:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)