Beringer's book of piano tecnique is copyrigthed?

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

codonauta
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Beringer's book of piano tecnique is copyrigthed?

Post by codonauta »

I would like to know if this book is copyrighted
Oscar Beringer: Daily Technical Studies for Piano.

Sometimes, the book or composition itself is not anymore under copyright laws, but the bookmaker, the publishing house has the copyright about this product, so it gets a bit more complicated.
Thanks for the attention( I had done this same qquestion in the other topic about Copyrighted issues, but I have no any response in a lot of days . I am trying to reiterate it here. Maybe here a get a response.
Importat: Oscar beringer passed away in 1922.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Beringer's book of piano tecnique is copyrigthed?

Post by Carolus »

If the work was first published before his death, it should be public domain worldwide.
codonauta
regular poster

Post by codonauta »

mmm. Very interesting. I am getting now how these authors' copyright issues work.
Thank you very for your response.
SeanMartin
forum adept

Post by SeanMartin »

Although generalizations are usually pretty safe, they're rarely the last word.

For example, DAVID AND THE PHOENIX, a perfectly charming children's book published in 1953. I discovered that it went PD this January even though (1) the author is still alive and (2) the publisher is still open for business. I'm not sure what loophole this thing fell through, but it is indeed PD.

So I guess I would recommend that some of these borderline, grey areas of copyright probably deserve a little more investigation than a facile application of the rules. Copyright law is so riddled with exceptions and degrees that it's almost impossible to say that some things definitively are or are not covered.

Oh, and if you want a real fun time, try contacting the Library of Congress about some of these works from the 20s and 30s. You'll find that sometimes *they* dont even know (or, as I was told during a recent visit there to research some compositions for a publishing project, "If it's in the card catalogue, check there first, but it might have been updated since then: we dont know.")