Lyapunov Symphony No 2

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

jsnfmn
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Lyapunov Symphony No 2

Post by jsnfmn »

I've previously uploaded his first symphony, and was curious if the second might be fair game as there are a number of indicators on the score that indicate it might not be, wouldn't want to scan this monster unless it will be unblocked.

A preface by B. Yagolin (which I assume would not be PD) states it was composed in 1917, but not performed in the composers lifetime, it was played for the first time in 1951 and first published by the State Music Publishers, presumably in 1958 which is given on the cover. I have read about some other complicated Russian composer copyright scenarios, perhaps this is one of those?
audunsj
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Lyapunov Symphony No 2

Post by audunsj »

Since the piano-score of the completion and re-instrumentation of Glinka's Symphony by Shebalin is fair game, I can't see why this shouldn't be... I'm a big fan of this (Lyapunov's) symphony, so I'm looking forward to this one!
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Lyapunov Symphony No 2

Post by KGill »

I couldn't find dates for Yagolin, so I'd leave that out if I were you. However, the score itself should be PD in at least the US and Canada if there's no editorial content. 1958 is more than 50 years ago, that takes care of Canada (posthumous publication). There's no additional copyright on the Russian state publisher, so if it was written in 1917 (before 1923) then it should be fine in the US as well. Not being Carolus, though, I won't pretend that this is absolutely definitive...