Editor S.J.

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

choul
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Editor S.J.

Post by choul »

What to do with a editor with the name of 'S.J.'? The music is published in 1879 (pd for the USA), the composer is dead for more than 70 years, but I have no idea how to find out about a editor with such a name as 'S.J.'. Can I upload the scores or not (living in the EU)?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Editor S.J.

Post by daphnis »

It's most likely that this person died more than 70 years ago based on the publication date, so I'd say go ahead and we can, if we really want to be safe, tag the EU portion as 'C' (checked).
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Could you give us the name of the piece and the publisher? It may be possible to track down the full name (or at least more of it) from publication records.
choul
forum adept

Post by choul »

Thanks both of you.

Here is the link of one of the sheets I mean:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?co ... linkText=0
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Sorry, I couldn't find a single scrap of information on that editor. Based on the 1879 date, I would say it's extremely unlikely that it's not PD in the EU, and even if the editor did live past 1939, it would still probably be fine there because Schirmer is an American company, so the editor is probably American, and the rule of the shorter term would come into effect (meaning that the 70 years might not even matter).
Basically what I'm saying is that you should have absolutely no problem posting it. :)
choul
forum adept

Post by choul »

I couldn't find anything either @Kgill, but at least I learned something new again, because I didn't know about 'Schirmer editions'. Thank you!