Bizet songs

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

haydenmuhl
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Bizet songs

Post by haydenmuhl »

I checked some Bizet songs out of the library. All the songs already have pages, but this edition has different keys and some very nice cover art. It's a photographic reproduction of an 1868 edition. From everything I understand about copyright from the FAQs, the pages that are facsimiles of the original scores should be fair game for scanning. However, this is written on the title page.
The document published here is a facsimile, i.e. a faithful, perfectly legible restoration of an original edition or manuscript from a library collection.

This work is protected by the Copyright Laws.

Any reproduction, whether partial or complete, by whatever means, must be authorized both by the library which detains the author's rights and by the Societe Editions Fuzeau, owner of the restored pages. In the absence of this twofold authorization, any complete or partial reproduction is strictly forbidden.

The Company Editions Fuzeau, which carried out the restoration work, detains all rights to reproduction of the present work under whatever form for the purpose of sale, rental, publicity, promotion or any other commercial use in conformity with the article L 122-10 of the Copyright Laws concerning the rights of reprographic reproduction.
I know reproduction does not grant new copyright, but does restoration? It sounds like they may have cleaned up the originals to some degree.

The reproduction has a 2006 copyright.

Edit: Here's a link to the Julicat record for this edition.

http://library.juilliard.edu/search~S0? ... 75&95,,556
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Bizet songs

Post by KGill »

Perhaps 'restoration' refers here to the process of reconstructing a document from tattered scraps? If they didn't change what was originally written (i.e., if it really is 'faithful'), that notice can just be ignored. I would recommend removing it in that case (from the scan of course).
haydenmuhl
active poster

Re: Bizet songs

Post by haydenmuhl »

I figured that statement was just posturing. There are several pages of editorial content that I did not scan, including the page with that notice. The only additions they seem to have made to the original scores are new page numbers.

I'll probably upload the first song some time today.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers