Heinrich Bading, birth and death dates

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Heinrich Bading, birth and death dates

Post by steltz »

For copyright purposes, I am looking for the birth and death dates of Heinrich Bading, so I can ascertain copyright on a couple of things. Most importantly, I can't find a death date, though the first publication I can find of his has a 1907 date.
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Heinrich Bading, birth and death dates

Post by KGill »

According to MusicSack, he was born in 1864. I could not find a cited death date anywhere, and floruit dates are somewhat difficult to establish in his case because it would appear that Peters kept reprinting his Brahms editions with different copyright dates throughout the 1950s and '60s (the earliest I found for Op.120 was 1952, though most records seem to agree on 1956). Whether or not Peters simply reengraved an earlier edition made by Bading of just the clarinet part cannot be determined, but judging by the number of WorldCat records from that decade, it seems a reasonable supposition that he at least lived into the early 1950s. This site does give 1925 as his death date, but where they got this is a total mystery and I would not trust it unless someone can find out what source they used. Perhaps Eric (who created the category) could tell us whether he had additional reasons for accepting 1925?
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

This site (in German):

http://mundipedia.com/PersonBadingHeinrich

states that he played clarinet from 1896 to 1925 in the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra.

Max
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Finally, I have a definitive death date for Heinrich Bading. I got an email address for a large cemetery in Leipzig, and asked about graves. (Macabre, I know, but it worked . . .)

They put me on to a State Archive service who actually sent me a scan of the catalogue card for his grave, though the actual grave no longer exists.

The death date is 21 April 1943. This means that the following two works:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Andante_con_moto, ... _Heinrich)
http://imslp.org/wiki/Caprice,_Op.14_(Bading,_Heinrich)

are PD in Canada and life+50 countries, and also in the US because they were published in 1907, but not the EU.

Could a copyight reviewer please do the necessary so that the notice at the top of the page shows the non-PD status for the EU? Thanks.
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

steltz wrote:Could a copyight reviewer please do the necessary so that the notice at the top of the page shows the non-PD status for the EU? Thanks.
The tags have been changed.