Copyright status of modern composers on WIMA

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Copyright status of modern composers on WIMA

Post by coulonnus »

In my participation to the WIMA project I encounter modern composers or arrangers, some whose life dates are known, others where they are not. They are obviously under copyright under "normal" law. I am working on Daniel Taupin's and Werner Icking's contributions.

May I transfer their pieces? Does the more-than-10-year presence on WIMA proves the consent of these composers/arrangers or their son's?
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Copyright status of modern composers on WIMA

Post by Davydov »

I understand IMSLP's default position is to assume that the work is still in copyright and we won't have permission to publish, unless it can be demonstrated otherwise (e.g. by the written consent of the original composer or lyricist).
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

If WIMA had permission for Taupin’s and Icking’s contributions these years is there any real need to ask that their respective estates would have reservations about the pieces being transferred from the original WIMA site to the IMSLP? In any case, Christian Mondrup would possibly have received letters from the executors of Messrs Taupin’s and Icking’s wills regarding the disposing of their musical property.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

I wasn't talking about people who'd contributed their own works to WIMA, but about arrangements or vocal settings by WIMA contributors of works by third parties, some of which might be in copyright.
Last edited by Davydov on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarity
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Davydov wrote: about arrangements or vocal settings by WIMA contributors of works by third parties
To be precise: Taupin page: G.Boussion, P.Darmon, A. Gouzes, André Sala (1899-1968), Perrine Lisal (1893-1981), Fernand Capitani...lyrics by Oreste Rossi.
Icking page: Heinz Irsen (1906-1989)

Y. Chauvin gave me his permission.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Thanks, Coulonnus. Boussion's dates are difficult to trace, but if he's renaissance or baroque then it's OK to include his works. But anything by Philippe Darmon (b.1966), André Gouzes (b.1943), Oreste Rossi (b.1946), and the others you mentioned (apart from Chauvin) should not be uploaded unless it can be demonstrated that they've given their permission.

(The fact that their works might have been on WIMA for several years without any complaints wouldn't be much of a defence in court, and sadly we know there are litigious publishers who would love to see IMSLP taken down at the slightest excuse.)

Thanks again for your help with this.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Then I have finished my job of uploading Taupin's WIMA contribution, and almost finished with Icking's contribution.

It will be the job of these composers/arrangers/lyricists or their son's to upload their scores on imslp :)