Clementi, piano sonatas, Kalmus/Belwin mills

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Clementi, piano sonatas, Kalmus/Belwin mills

Post by coulonnus »

Here I have the 4 volumes of 24 Clementi piano sonatas, "KALMUS PIANO SERIES" on the top of the cover, "Belwin Mills" on the bottom. I would be glad to provide scans of the Sonatas that are currently missing on imslp.

I am 99.99% sure these volumes are reprints from Peters. Has anybody the corresponding Peters scores? It would be nice to bring a 100% proof and to provide the Peters plate numbers if I upload them.
Jean-Séb
forum adept

Re: Clementi, piano sonatas, Kalmus/Belwin mills

Post by Jean-Séb »

Yes, I have cahiers I, III and IV of Sammlung berühmter Sonaten von M. Clementi, revidirt un mit Fingersatz versehen, von Louis Köhler und F. A. Roitzsch, published at Leipzig by C. F. Peters.
Cahier I, sonate 1-7 is plate 6435
Cahier II, sonate 8-12 should be plate 6436 (it is indicated on the Inhalt page, common to both cahiers I and II)
Cahier III, sonate 13-18 is plate 5738
Cahier IV, sonate 19-24 is plate 8792
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Then could you please compare your Cahier II, p. 22 with http://imslp.org/wiki/3_Piano_Sonatas,_ ... ti,_Muzio)
Sonata No.1 scanned by piupanissimo?

The engraving looks very much like my Kalmus score. But it is Plate 9345. In my score some sets of 16th notes are written as grace note, 8th note and two 16ths notes, e.g. (22,1,last) and (22, 2, 2). And the triplet bracket in (22,2,2) is a '3' above the notes. Does your Peters score look like mine?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Kalmus - including the piano series sold to Belwin Mills in the 1970s - nearly always reprinted an older, public domain edition. There are very, very few cases where they actually produced a new edition of anything. This is still true for the "Kalmus Classic" imprint, which is actually now an imprint of Alfred. The real Kalmus (the one in Florida) has been issuing a number of new editions for about 20 years now, but anything for piano would be under their LudwigMasters subsidiary.
Jean-Séb
forum adept

Post by Jean-Séb »

coulonnus wrote:Then could you please compare your Cahier II, p. 22 with http://imslp.org/wiki/3_Piano_Sonatas,_ ... ti,_Muzio)
Sonata No.1 scanned by piupanissimo?
No, sorry, Cahier II is the only one I do NOT have !
But it clearly seems to be two different Peters editions, the one scanned being more recent I assume...
The plate number is not the same and the first notes of the sonata are plain 16th notes while in my edition, judging from the beginnning line in the "Inhalt" page, it is written with a grace note as it used to be the case in older scores. Moreover each scanned page has Editions Peters at the bottom of the page and the sonata is given with its opus number, which holds true only for my cahier IV (plate 8792) but not for my older cahiers I and III which bear no mention other than the plate number at the bottom of the page and do not mention the opus number of the works.
Apart from that the numbering of the pages, from 22 to 43 is the same as it is in my edition.
It seems that the new edition kept the same general lay-out but incorporated some minor changes.
For another example, I have checked sonata op.7 n°3 in Peters edition but revised by Ruthard. It is still the same layout as my version in cahier IV plate 8792, but with a few minor editorial changes : for example, the grupetto at the 4th measure of Cantabile e lento is explained, etc.
In op.25 n°2 again, the first grace notes are written differently in my cahier III, plate 5738 than in the one scanned identified as plate 8792 (which is the plate number of my cahier IV) and revised by Ruthard.
I happen to have Kalmus Volume IV (I did not remember I had bought that one). It is very, very close to my Peters but I could nonetheless point some minor differences. For example, page 8, first line, I have a few more fingering indications !
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Jean-Séb wrote: For another example, I have checked sonata op.7 n°3 in Peters edition but revised by Ruthard. It is still the same layout as my version in cahier IV plate 8792, but with a few minor editorial changes : for example, the grupetto at the 4th measure of Cantabile e lento is explained, etc.
Then thanks. Now I'm sure my Kalmus is a reprint of your Peter.
Jean-Séb
forum adept

Post by Jean-Séb »

It seems that there are at least two Peters collections of the same 24 sonatas.
The first one, senior one, revised by Louis Köhler and,F. A. Roitzsch has plate numbers 6435, 6436, 5738 and ???.
The second one, junior one, revised by Ruthard, has plate numbers 8915, 9345, 8049 and 8792. This one has Editions Peters at the bottom of each page and the opus numbers.
This is what I understand when comparing the different versions in a Library such as
http://titan.bsz-bw.de/bibscout/LP-LY/L ... 0/LU.63580
Jean-Séb
forum adept

Post by Jean-Séb »

Coulonnus, you may have noticed that Sibley has released some Clementi published by Peters:
https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... onNumber=1
It is the second edition I was mentioning above.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks. I'Il upload this one ASAP as a contribution to http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Sibley_Mirroring_Project
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

coulonnus wrote:Thanks. I'Il upload this one ASAP [...]
Already done by Carolus! http://imslp.org/wiki/Sammlung_ber%C3%B ... ti,_Muzio)