Bizet symphony in C

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Bizet symphony in C

Post by Eric »

asked this on the discussion page of the symphony a year ago and have gotten no joy-er- no response. Was this work not renewed? Is there some other reason the published- non-manuscript (and whatever some of the contributors on that page seem to think, "manuscript copy" but published by someone is still published- many to most of the new published scores in the 20th century are manuscript copies) - scores/parts on the page, all 1935-or-later of course- are not blocked until 2030-or-so or later in my country? (Not that I really want them to be, but... the principle of the thing I suppose.) It's most odd.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Bizet symphony in C

Post by Carolus »

I am not sure of the exact reason, but the work has been reprinted by both Dover and Kalmus and is presently being sold by them. The first publication was a joint one between our very favorite Viennese music publisher and Choudens. I think Choudens managed to issue copies sans notice, which blew it out of copyright jail in the USA. Obviously ineligible for GATT/TRIPS as Bizet was public domain in both France and Austria by 1996.
Eric
active poster

Re: Bizet symphony in C

Post by Eric »

Ah thanks. (Until the next copyright-related treaties get drawn up and passed, of course, but at the moment those are just rumors of rumors, or something. :) )