Peter Warlock, Capriol Suite - US PD?

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

cmer223
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Peter Warlock, Capriol Suite - US PD?

Post by cmer223 »

Hi,

The edition I have here is Copyright 1927 by J. Curwen & Sons Ltd. distributed through G. Schirmer Inc.

I did a search through the Catalog of Copyright Entries and couldn't find a US renewal for that particular edition. I also searched copyright.gov and couldn't find any NIE's issued to his works. Am I missing anything? This is my first time doing this research.

Thanks,
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Peter Warlock, Capriol Suite - US PD?

Post by Carolus »

I am fairly sure it was renewed. This is a popular work which is performed quite a bit. It would have been reprinted by Kalmus if there were actually no renewal. When you search the CCE, you have to look in the years 1954 and 1955. It might have been renewed by his heirs under his real name (Philip Heseltine). There are also a few cases where renewals were permitted after the normal 28-year period under court order due to the applicant being unable to file in a timely manner for one reason or another (though most such cases were the result of wartime interruptions).
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Copyright renewal is confirmed. Page 10 of the 1955 volume for renewal registrations which can be seen at archive.org.

Cypressdome
cmer223

Post by cmer223 »

Thanks for checking, not sure how I missed that one! I must have searched for Warlock in that volume.

All the best,