editorial amendments in a reprint

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

editorial amendments in a reprint

Post by coulonnus »

BSB has a collection of reprints in a single volume - edited in 1985 - of ca. 1800 editions. I would like to split it and upload it, but it is affected with many editorial suggested corrections: crossed slurs and harpins, alternative note durations, ornaments hints, editorial accidentals etc. over the staves. There is about one per page in average.

Do these additions qualify for copyright? Do I have to delete them before I upload the pieces?

If you want to see it search Temperley on BSB, but it is about 100 MB big.
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: editorial amendments in a reprint

Post by Choralia »

The type of editorial amendments that you mentioned, as well as their frequency (one per page on average - pretty low), appears to represent the editor's intention to remove errors or modify editorial work done by others and that he retains not to represent the composer's original intention. I think that the level of originality of this type of amendmends is pretty low, so the maximum level of protection that can be claimed might be the one relevant to "urtext" or "scholarly" editions. If published in 1985, this would be free in most EU countries (specifically, in Germany, where BSB is located), thus eligible for being made available on the EU server.

Just my opinion, though.

Max
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

If BSB actually makes these available for download on their own site, I think a case can be made that the markings fall within the rubric of an urtext edition and were only protected for 25 years from publication.
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Do you guys have a link for that download?
When I google "BSB" and "music" I only get links for the Backstreet Boys...
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

This must be the score under discussion: The London Pianoforte School: 1766-1860.

BSB refers to the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. The search page for their digital collection is here: http://www.muenchener-digitalisierungszentrum.de/

A valuable list of sites with scores available online can be found at other music score websites.

Enjoy,
Cypressdome
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

cypressdome wrote:This must be the score under discussion: The London Pianoforte School: 1766-1860
Yes!
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

I have begun: http://imslp.org/wiki/The_Sufferings_of ... adislav%29
Please, reviewers, check the fields I have put.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

As I mentioned on your wiki talk thread, there is so little editorially here that they would totally fall in a US court. More importantly, I don't think Garland was even making a claim on the editorial corrections by Temperley, but on the compilation of the volume. I note there is no editorial credit or copyright claim on the individual titles uploaded so far.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Carolus wrote:As I mentioned on your wiki talk thread, there is so little editorially here that they would totally fall in a US court..
And most of this stuff can be found in Clementi's, Pleyel-Dussek's, Adam's etc methods. :-)
More importantly, I don't think Garland was even making a claim on the editorial corrections by Temperley, but on the compilation of the volume. I note there is no editorial credit or copyright claim on the individual titles uploaded so far.
I concede Temperley's introduction and notes are copyrighted. I won't upload them. :-)
It seems M. Temperley lacks the ethical sense of the average imslp contributor in the sense that he cancelled out all plate numbers! :lol:
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I actually doubt that Temperley had anything to so with the removal of plate numbers. The removal is often done for the purely practical reason that they hang beneath the music block. Getting rid of them (and the original page numbers) makes the job of music alignment simpler for the printer. Sometimes reprint publishers will remove them to avoid any chance of confusion with the original publisher also. Of course, they sometimes want consumers to think they are the original publisher.