International Music Company: reprint or not reprint?

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

International Music Company: reprint or not reprint?

Post by coulonnus »

I have a Beethoven's string trio published by International Music company. All IMC scores I found on imslp are reprints. I am almost sure my score is a reprint of Breitkopf or Peters. May I rely on a "reasonable guess" to upload it?

There is no © notice. The engraving looks somewhat more modern than that of the Schott edition found on http://imslp.org/wiki/String_Trio_in_E- ... 20letters. (Sibley scan). There are no bar numbers, only rehearsal letters.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: International Music Company: reprint or not reprint?

Post by KGill »

I'd say it's probably a reprint - from what I've seen their original engravings always have very clear information displayed on the first page of music.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Can't anybody with access to a large music library have a quick look at the Breitkopf edition? Then we will compare a few caracteristic passages to see if it is the same engraving. It would be nice to provide the source plate number on the work page.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

International was very much into reprints in their earlier days (1940s-1950s). They often reprinted items from Breitkopf, Peters and others. Starting in the mid-to-late 1950s, they had 'name' editors adding things to reprints - with a copyright claim. More recently, they've been producing newly-engraved editions.