J. S. Bach Manuscript

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Starrmark
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

J. S. Bach Manuscript

Post by Starrmark »

Is the following in the public domain in the US?

--a manuscript by J. S. Bach, published in color facsimile in or before the 1970s by Edition Peters, Leipzig. No copyright statement or year of publication appears on the publication. I am referring only to the facsimile pages of Bach's manuscript, not to any modern commentary (or anything else.) The manuscript is without doubt authentic. Can I reproduce this published color facsimile of Bach's handwritten score?

MS
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: J. S. Bach Manuscript

Post by KGill »

If the piece itself had been published earlier in an edition out of copyright in the US (BGA?), then I would say this facsimile printing is also out of copyright there.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

There's also the fact that Peters Leipzig in 1970 was the DDR - which had no copyright relations with the USA. I doubt there's any problem posting this.
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

I recently scanned and uploaded the manuscript of Bach's Musikalisches Opfer, also a 70's Peters edition, clearly PD everywhere.
As long as you don't include any editorial notes, preface etc. you're fine, I guess.
Which manuscript is it, btw?