Holst - Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

tlmarchand
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Holst - Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

Post by tlmarchand »

Hi. I'm seeking help with the copyright status of "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence," #1 of the Three Festival Choruses, Op.36a, by Gustav Holst, transcribed for piano by Vally Lasker.

I understand that this piece was set for voices and orchestra by Holst, and is available through E.C. Schirmer (orchestra parts are rental). I would like to arrange the setting by Lasker for a large instrumental ensemble, and I'm trying to determine if the original work is in the public domain, or if I need to seek permission to arrange -- and from whom?

Thanks for any help you may provide.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Holst - Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

Post by Carolus »

The status depends on where you are, to an extent. In most of the world, Holst (d.1934) is free. Lasker however is another story, since she lived until 1978. In the USA, the arrangement is free if first publication took place before 1923. If it took place in 1923 or later, you're out of luck and have to obtain written permission from the copyright owner.

It would appear that first publication took place in 1919, so you're free to use Lasker's arrangement as long as you're in the USA. Holst's original is public domain in most of the world - the exceptions possibly being places such as Spain, Mexico, Ivory Coast which have absurd copyright terms of 80 pma and longer (though even some of these insane terms might not apply to Holst, who died more than eight decades ago).
tlmarchand

Post by tlmarchand »

Carolus:

Thanks. The original says "Copyright, 1921, in U.S.A. by Stainer & Bell Ltd." So I think I'm in the clear.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Arrange away - you don't need anyone's permission as long as you're in the USA. If you based your arrangement on Holst's original, you don't need any permission period.