Viardot

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

luzerne
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Viardot

Post by luzerne »

Hi all,

I was hoping to upload a copy I was planning on making of Pauline Viardot's song Haï luli. The original is not available on IMSLP, though Hathitrust does have a record of the work here:
http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/002813787

It is listed under mysteriously limited access due to copyright, though since it is published in 1880 I can't fathom what those restrictions could be. Any ideas?

Thanks,
BK
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Viardot

Post by daphnis »

The scans are by U of Mich, and I can't see a reason why this would be copyright anywhere in the world at this point.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Viardot

Post by cypressdome »

As stated on Hathi Trust's copyright page: "volumes published outside the US from 1876 through 1923 are treated as public domain for users accessing the volumes from US IP addresses, however they are treated as in-copyright for users that come from non-US IP addresses." This saves their librarians from having to find the death dates for composers, authors, translators, etc. who contributed to such publications since they could have still been alive 70 years ago (1946) and would still be protected by copyright in the EU.