is removal of certain editing features enough?

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

is removal of certain editing features enough?

Post by coulonnus »

I have a score by a ca. 1800 composer heavily edited in 1949 by an editor died in 1987. I am removing his fingerings, piano pedalling and ornament hints. This editor does not have Henle's Urtextness and I don't which slurs and staccato dots are his or those of his source. May I upload this score?
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: is removal of certain editing features enough?

Post by Carolus »

You would need to be able to compare the original with the newer edition. Generally, things from ca.1800 don't include a lot of articulations, etc. as you probably know. However, there are exceptions, especially if the composer was a well-known teacher.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks. We have some other Sonatas by http://imslp.org/wiki/Keyboard_Sonata_i ... h_Wilhelm)
scanned by Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin, but not this one. They have some dynamics or indication markings like the 1949 edition. So I can only make guesses.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Looking at the ca.1792 mss, it appears that Rust may well have included slurs, articulations and even fingerings (a little unusual). There is a good chance that a fair number of those in the score you're working on originate from the composer. Did you try looking to see if the sonata you're interested in is present in Farrenc's Tresor des pianistes? Farrenc was generally fairly light-handed for a 19th century editor.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

The Sibley librarians scanned http://imslp.org/wiki/12_Keyboard_Sonat ... h_Wilhelm) at my request. There is this sonata with much less editing. :-)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

are you referring to the edition of Rust's sonatas by his own grandson or something iirc? (The set that William Newman singled out in The Sonata Since Beethoven rather negatively if I recall for intrusiveness of editing, to the point (that Newman talked about how) the more recent Rust claimed protoRomanticisms for the sonatas that may have originated not in the source, but in the edits. It seemed a cautionary tale.)

(Ah right. Never mind!)
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Nope. Piano sonatas by early masters, "Revised, Edited, Fingered and Annotated by Leo Podolsky" (1891-1987). Publ info: New York, Carl Fischer inc, 1949. Plate 30588-22.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Perhaps http://imslp.org/wiki/Keyboard_Sonata_i ... h_Wilhelm) wants more Misc. Notes and Comments about the Wilhelm Rust edition. :-) Also look at the last Sonata in the d'Indy collection of 12.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The manuscript added is the composer's actual holograph looking at the corresponding RISM record for it. So you now have all you need to determine what to remove.