Milhaud, La Création du Monde

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Johnny Assay
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Milhaud, La Création du Monde

Post by Johnny Assay »

Because it's one of my favorite pieces, I have created a LilyPond typesetting of Milhaud's La Création du Monde, using the Max Eschig score posted on IMSLP as my reference. For the most part, the typesetting is a straightforward transcription of the score, with minimal editing (moving a few clef changes, correcting probable accidental errors, etc.) However, I did make two significant changes. First, I changed the location of the rehearsal marks; the Max Eschig score simply had marks every 10 bars, but I tried to insert marks at more "natural" locations. Second, I re-notated the non-timpani percussion part to conform to "modern" drum set notation, using a five-line staff where each instrument corresponds to a different line/space.

I would like to upload my typeset score to the US server, along with the individual parts derived from it. But I wanted to confirm that this would be OK copyright-wise, and if so, how to do it. (I'm located in the US.)
  1. I note that the date on the score on IMSLP is 1929, which would mean that it should still be under copyright in the US. However, there's a note saying that the orchestral score was probably first put into fixed form in 1923, and so the 1929 date is invalid and the orchestral score is in the public domain. Do I understand this reasoning correctly, and is this reasoning correct? (I'd rather not bring down Universal Music Group on my head if I can avoid it, obviously.)
  2. Do my edits (particularly the changes of the rehearsal numbering and the revised percussion part) influence whether I can safely upload these files?
  3. Is there any special procedure for uploading specifically to the US server? I'm brand-new to IMSLP uploading — these would be the first files I would be submitting.
coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Milhaud, La Création du Monde

Post by coulonnus »

Read cypressdome's reply in viewtopic.php?t=6659