Pour discuter en français de IMSLP et de musique en général

Moderators: Leonard Vertighel, Amitie

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Needing a translation

Post by steltz »

I'm hoping to get help on a translation that comes from Charles Lefebvre's Suite no.2 for winds.

The fourth movement, Quasi Marcia, has a footnote that says the following (I am underlining the letters that are superscripts):

D'après la MARCHE POUR PIANO (Op.44) et avec l'auton de M.A. Noël (anene Maison Mackar & Noël)

I need help with the words with superscripts, which I take to be contractions of longer words. I understand the first word, l'auton to mean authorisation, in other words with the authorisation of M.A. Noël, but can't quite work out the next one, partly because the printing is slightly fuzzy and I'm not sure I have the letters right.

What does anene stand for?

Thanks!
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Needing a translation

Post by Davydov »

Comparing the other letters in the same phrase, I think the second abbreviation is more likely "auene", but I've no idea what that might stand for :) Presumably it relates to Noel's position within the firm Mackar & Noel?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

In that case, the word will be something like au . . . . ene. Anyone have any ideas?
bsteltz
Jean-Séb
forum adept

Post by Jean-Séb »

These are two abbreviations, the first one for "autorisation" (authorization) as you rightly guessed, and the second one for "ancienne" (former).
pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by pierre.chepelov »

Davydov wrote:Comparing the other letters in the same phrase, I think the second abbreviation is more likely "auene",
"ancne" (="ancienne"), without hesitation!
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thank you very much!
bsteltz