Per discutere in italiano di IMSLP e di musica in generale

Moderators: Leonard Vertighel, Giacomo Sciommeri

ams78
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Italian copyrights on 19th century music

Post by ams78 »

Hi there,
Hoping someone can help me with this one.

I'm trying to get a copy of a piece of French music that is held by an Italian library. This is an edition of 24 etudes published in 1870. The composer died in 1864 and this is his original version of the work and the sole surviving copy as far as I've been able to find out.

In the mid/late 20th century a version was published of this work - however it is incomplete (only 22 out of the 24) and heavily edited (etudes are transposed into new keys etc).

The Italian library is telling me that because of this later edition they are not allowed to copy the 1870s edition. I've never come across this before! This seems to imply that a later publication of an edition of a work has retrospective copyright over an earlier edition?

I'm now going round in circles with the Italian library who just keep saying to me the equivalent of "ah, well you might do things that way in other countries but here in Italy we take copyright very seriously".

Any advice?

Thanks!
moody
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Italian copyrights on 19th century music

Post by moody »

They told you a bogous thing.
That part is free of copyright for italian law.
The problem is ignorance and jealousy.
Clercks and library managers, in italy, use library like their own private property.
It's only a power game for stupid people like it happens in all italian pubblic offices.
And worst of all they don't know their italian law !!!...
(I have just noticed it too in some advices and reccomandations about copyrights in this italian forum!!!!!)

You should know a student (or person) used to attend that library and well known by clerks , so he can copy all.... pd and not pd too
You could sue too that clerck or manager that refuse to give you apubblic service, but in italy it's a very expensive and never ended story,they know this and it's their power weapon.......

This is the "italian way"

Greetings