Uploading of collections

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

I would like to upload 3 books of orchestral excerpts for viola or violin.
Split them it's almost impossible (also because there are 3 or more different auhtors every page,and there are 200 or more pages).Where have I to put them?May be anonymous > Viola album?
Thank you
Carmar
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Is there an editor of the compilation cited in the beginning, e.g. someone who put all the excerpts together?
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

Yes there is:Hermann Ritter 1849 1926
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

then I would upload it under his name, and make a list of what's inside in the comments section.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Peter, I have a related question (which might have been answered elsewhere).

How should collective works be treated? (I mean genuinely collective, not a situation where the composer died and is the "official" author, while someone else has to clean up the post mortem.)

For example, there are the Paraphrases, by Borodin, Cui, Liadov, Rimsky, et al. Although most of the pieces in this set could be extracted individually under each composer, the first piece combines variations by different hands together. Thus, it would make more sense to keep the entire set together.

Another example is the B-L-A-F String Quartet by Rimsky, Liadov, Borodin, and Glazunov -- each authoring a single movement.

Is it possible to have a "Category:Collective Works" to handle this kind of thing? I think something like that could work, as long as each composer's category is imbedded within the work page, so that the work shows up on the composer's category page.
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

Ok thank you.But since it will be difficult that someone is looking for excerpts goes to see Ritter it should be a special category when we browse by instrument ....
Thank you again

Ciao

Carmar
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Carmar: yes, listing it on the Viola page seems necessary to me.

Lyle: I better didn't say I was a violist :). I assume it will work when you upload it under one composer and then manually add other composer categories to the work page.
jsnfmn
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jsnfmn »

Lyle Neff wrote:Another example is the B-L-A-F String Quartet by Rimsky, Liadov, Borodin, and Glazunov -- each authoring a single movement.
This is definitely interesting, and as I can think of at least two other works that would belong on such a page, it may be worth pursuing a way to be able to list these types of pieces in their entirety. Only one of the additional works I know of, the version of Mlada co-composed by César Cui, Léon Minkus, Modest Mussorgsky, Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov, and Aleksandr Borodin, would be able to be put up in its entirety here. The other, the Genesis Suite co-composed by Arnold Schoenberg, Igor Stravinsky, Darius Milhaud, Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Alexandre Tansman, Ernst Toch, and Nathaniel Shilkret, would have to wait, except for the few movements by composers already fully in the PD.

Though all of these could be broken up and just placed on their respective composers pages, I think it would be worthwhile to try to find a place to list them collectively.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

jsnfmn wrote:[...] the version of Mlada co-composed by César Cui, Léon Minkus, Modest Mussorgsky, Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov, and Aleksandr Borodin, would be able to be put up in its entirety here. [...]
Apparently the only things available for this (outside of archives) are published scores: Cui's Act I (which is already uploaded under his name), Musorgsky's Market Scene (and whatever little else was published by Lamm), , and Borodin's Finale as orchestrated by Rimsky. I'd have to look at Albrecht Gaub's book on the collective Mlada again to see what else might possibly have been printed. (Minkus' later ballet went beyond his incidental dance music for the 1872 collaboration.)