General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

Just to clarify (from my point of view):

Whatever standard transliterations or translations of names or extremely common titles are decided upon as exceptions, the system of transliteration for texts, titles, and other detailed information, should have a standard system.

As regards the latter, I vote against the transliteration systems of Wikipedia, LC, and British (Grove), because of ambiguity, diacritics, or both. (Again, "J" is not a dirty letter.) :D
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Davydov »

If we're talking about the texts of Russian songs or libretti, then reverse transliteration is important for the performers, and I could be persuaded to put up with the odd 'j' here and there :)

But as regards the names of composers and work lists, my vote is for using the Wikipedia system. So we'd keep Sorochinsky Fair. rather than Sorochinskij Fair, for example.

In the pages devoted to lists of a composers' works by opus number or genre, we could put the Cyrillic versions in brackets for non-generic titles, as on the Mussorgsky page:

http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_compositi ... Mussorgsky

(I also wonder whether tables might be better for showing work lists, but let's take things one step at a time...) :)