Clearer Part Names

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

ras1
active poster

Clearer Part Names

Post by ras1 »

Just a thought on style/consistency. It seems likely we'll be getting a lot of orchestral parts sometime in the near future. When uploading parts of a concerto or other piece for instrument(s) and orchestra, could we name the files for the soloist "Solo [Instrument] Part" rather than simply "[Instrument] Part," so we can distinguish from the orchestra instrument?

For example, a lot of violin concertos have files named "Violin Part," which I think is confusing, especially if there are other files called "Violin I Part" and "Violin II Part" right below it.

Come to think of it, it's probably much worse for things like bassoon concertos, or similar instruments of which there are often only one in an orchestra.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

I agree that it's a good idea. Yet another detail to add to the future IMSLP Style Guide.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

For that Guide (my opinion):
Headings:
"Full Scores" (if applicable, if not "Original Version")," Manuscript(s)," "Vocal Scores" (If applicable - separate from "arrangements, etc.), "Excerpts, arrangements, transcriptions," and any editions, if neccessary.
Descriptions:
Parts:
if two parts as div: [instrument] I, II (etc.)
If two separate parts: [instrument] I and II (etc.)
Solo: solo [instrument]
percussion: Percussion: [instruments]
Scores:
Complete: Complete Score
movement: [number]: [name]
Excerpt: [name, where from in larger work]
Transcriptions: Transcribed for [instrument]
Chamber Music with piano/sonatas with piano: Piano Score, [instrument] part (if applicable)