active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Some technical questions. How Do I...

Post by homerdundas »

Some Technical Questions

How do I...

1. ...rename an uploaded file.
I normally name files with a combination of composer name, opus, or an abbreviation of the title. This helps me keep files straight on my end. However, occasionally I have made an error in the spelling or opus # of a file that I have uploaded. This is not a problem per se - IMSLP keeps everything straight and linked etc. The possible annoyance starts when a user downloads the file - the name of which contains the wrong opus. (Spelling errors are just a bit embarrassing). Failing having this facility...

2. ...delete an uploaded file.
Ok. I uploaded a file I shouldn't have. I clicked on the wrong one! Or rather my mouse did, contrary to my instructions. How do I get rid of it? (This might also solve the #1. question above - by deleting and uploading a different file name.)

3. ...add multilingual titles, descriptions.
It is not clear to me how to make pages multilingual. I understand that work pages are titled with the composer's original title, regardless of language.(*) It would be nice to include other information in multilingual form... Sinfonie = Symphony, Score=Partitur. To be truly international we should add terms in other languages as a courtesy to non-english speaking users. Also, how does one go about switching the browsing language? The main page is the only one that is obvious.

(*) Note - this does ''not'' appear to be the case where transliteration is involved - cyrillic titles anyone?

4. ...create a link from one composer page to another.
In the case of a work by one composer, subsequently orchestrated by another, we may wish to add a link from the orchestrator's page to the original composer's work. It seems that the only option we have is to 'add' a new work. (Someone has already made such a link for perhaps the most famous example: Pictures at an Exhibition, by Mussorgsky, orchestrated by Ravel ).

5. ...create a new page for my own use.
If I wish to add a page on which to archive some of my 'discussion' area - how do I do it?

(I am reluctant to experiment with such features - as it may take some annoyed admin hours to undo the damage!)

Many thanks for your responses... Homer.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Some technical questions. How Do I...

Post by Peter »

homerdundas wrote:Some Technical Questions

How do I...

1. ...rename an uploaded file.
I'm not sure if this is possible in Mediawiki.
homerdundas wrote: 2. ...delete an uploaded file.
Use the template {{Delete|reason}} on the file page (access by clicking on the IMSLP # ..... link. ) Once in a while an admin will clean the whole batch of files that are marked like this. We tend to forget this task, so if it's urgent let us know something.

If you uploaded just the wrong file but the filename is correct, you can always upload a new version of this file, clicking on the IMSLP # ..... link. See other thread in this forum for details.
homerdundas wrote: 4. ...create a link from one composer page to another.
use [[:Category:Name]] . note the ":", otherwise your page will just be categorised.
homerdundas wrote: 5. ...create a new page for my own use.
Type in the page name of your choice in the search box and click on the resulting red link. For pages for own use, create titles with a slash, e.g.

User talk:Homerdundas/archive , or User:Homerdundas/To-do-list

cheers
Peter
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Is it possible to ...

... install a help to avoid the misspelling of composers, when searching the IMSLP?
homerdundas
active poster

Post by homerdundas »

I'm still in the dark about my question 4 above. Let me try to explain this better.

On each composer page is a list of works. It seems that the only way to get an additional work listed here is to use the link Add a piece to this composer page. This link, however, attempts to create a new work. Any attempt to re-list an existing work, results in an error.

I don't wish to add a new work, I simply want to add another composer's work to this composers's page, in the case where one composer was an orchestrator or co-author of a work by another composer. The most famous example is the Moussorgsky / Ravel work I listed above.

I now wish to create links from William Byrd, Orlando Gibbons and John Bull to the volume http://imslp.org/wiki/Parthenia_(Various) . This is a compilation of virginal works by those three composers. How??????
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

homerdundas wrote: I now wish to create links from William Byrd, Orlando Gibbons and John Bull to the volume http://imslp.org/wiki/Parthenia_(Various) . This is a compilation of virginal works by those three composers. How??????
You add

Code: Select all

[[Category:Byrd, William]][[Category:Gibbons, Orlando]][[Category:Bull, John]]
to the work page. (Append it at the end of the page.)
homerdundas
active poster

Post by homerdundas »

... and it works too!!!! Now I understand! Many thanks for the info.