Long file names

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Johann Casper Ferdinand F
regular poster

Long file names

Post by Johann Casper Ferdinand F »

I note that there are a number of files in IMSLP that have extremely long names, over 100 characters.

This poses problems for certain file systems that impose limits of around 100 characters. Would the admins be willing to address this, if I provide a list of affected files?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Long file names

Post by Carolus »

It might be worth addressing. I also noticed that I got a 404 error when I attempted to download some items from an older computer here. Apparently there were diacriticals used in the file name, which caused the problem. My older computer is not unicode compliant, hence the error. I don't know if that is a widespread enough issue for us to consider or not, but I thought I'd mention it since we're talking about file names.
Johann Casper Ferdinand F
regular poster

Re: Long file names

Post by Johann Casper Ferdinand F »

The non-Ascii characters are indeed also a problem for some applications, see by way of extreme example "IMSLP25557-PMLP37487-????????? ?????????? ???? ??? ?????? ? ??????????.pdf" by Giovanni Bottesini. On the other hand, most modern file systems do support them, and Ascii-only transliterations make the spelling technically incorrect.

Punctuation like & in the filenames is also a problem for any sort of scripting, though again most modern file systems will support it.