Organizing personal composer's page

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

mk1983
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Organizing personal composer's page

Post by mk1983 »

I have submitted my own piece with Russian naming. Consequently I have now Russian naming being correctly displayed but under a sign "?" because there is no English char under which my piece could be. You can see an example here
I'm trying to rename the work title but it does nothing. I wonder if I actually have any rights to do this. If not, could you rename this Russian piece of text for me to "Nastroenie"?

Well, thanks in advance for your help :)
mk1983

Re: Organizing personal composer's page

Post by mk1983 »

okay, the problem is already solved, you may close this topic.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Organizing personal composer's page

Post by pml »

Actually, it's a good point, there are a small number of works where the title is expressly stated by the composer as being in a non-Romanic language, such as Greek or Russian; however this site nominally has English as a first language, so a transliteration or translation of the title would very much be preferred. The problem with having accented Romanic characters, or non-Romanic languages wholesale, is that it makes URLs for webpages very ugly and unwieldy indeed - this is how your original page title was "exploded" out into a URL:

From something like this: http://imslp.org/wiki/??????????_%28Kreyn,_Mark%29

it became "URL-ified" as:

http://imslp.org/wiki/%D0%9D%D0%B0%D1%8 ... n,_Mark%29

Which is not really very readable! If you read the column of info on the side of the work submission page, it explains that the work title and the page title can be different to avoid this. Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)