Schubert Lieder

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

Thank you to the moderators for linking the Deutsch catalog of Schubert works. It shows how much work there is yet to do!

I'll do some more serious scanning this weekend.

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
naja

Post by naja »

Hi,

I think the problem is with the composer pages. It makes little sense for classical music to have compositions listed by Title. It is hard to find anything anyway in there and for me personally completely useless. It makes more sense to use the listings by Catalog number. If you don't know the number, it is a small one to search that page for a title. This way, nothing gets cluttered up, and the site stays consistent. (eg no pages with 10 D numbers).

If it would be really considered necessary to have the titles page, then make an extra page on the wiki (now realise i don't now if that is possible on imsl, if not, ask a moderator) for songs, and on this page link to the different songs, or to pages holding just 10 of them, who cares. I don't think it would harm anybody for even making an entire jungle like that. You could make pages holding links to all songs of one subject, or lyrics by one poet, really who cares, but just keep the classification consistent by giving every D number just one page to upload scores of this particular D number, and to be linked from the Catalog pages.

thank you
naja

Post by naja »

hi again,

on the complete vs individual collection links. What is wrong with the following on the Catalog number pages?

D.957 - Song Cycle "Schwanengesang" (-> also in 386 Lieder by Ed. Peters)

Where the first part of this entry would link to the individual page if it existed, and the second hold a link to the more complete collections. If more different combinations in books existed, we could just start to use a new line for every link, no?
gacl
regular poster

Post by gacl »

Let's not forget that some of us like the opus numbers better when they are available. And that includes the folks at Peters Urtext ( http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp ... 2592921417 ) and Barenreiter ( https://www.baerenreiter.com/html/compl ... alt.htm#13 ), so they should not be excluded. For example, a page titled Heidenröslein, D.257 could be better set as Heidenröslein, Op. 3, Nr. 3. D 257.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

I'll try to remember the opus numbers if the songs have them...

Sometimes gets a bit tricky if there is more than one version of a song (or more than one song under the same name). I'm using the encyclopaedic CD booklets that come with the Hyperion Schubert Collection as my source of dates, D-numbers and poets etc.

I've got a couple of weeks vacation in the 2nd half of August, there should be some serious scanning and uploading happening then.

But if anyone else out there has Schubert Lieder, please don't hesitate to upload them. I have a lot of them but I don't have the full set. Let's see how quickly we can collect the whole lot together.

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
gacl
regular poster

Post by gacl »

Here's a great book regarding opus numbers in Schubert's songs:

http://books.google.com/books?id=abZcHg ... qFs18h6hPQ
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

gacl wrote:Here's a great book regarding opus numbers in Schubert's songs:

http://books.google.com/books?id=abZcHg ... qFs18h6hPQ
That looks like a really interesting book - I'll have to track down a copy (or read it online, a bit at a time.)

Reading the encyclopedic volumes of CD liner notes that come with the Hyperion Schubert song collection is very enlightening too. You soon learn that:

- Sometimes the grouping of songs into opus number was Schubert's idea, and sometimes dictated by the publisher. (And sometimes decided by Schubert, but for reasons entirely unrelated to musical or literary merit, such as to please the poet or the person to whom the opus was dedicated.)

- Some publishers were more sympathetic to the composer's ideas than others, who simply wanted to put together the songs that would sell best.

- Sometimes the composer's ideas about grouping or order of songs was radically different to those of the writer of the original text. Sometimes Schubert would take liberties with the poetry that would never be tolerated by most lyric writers today. (changing words, leaving out whole sections or verses, repeating other sections). It would not be possible to create works like this under today's laws (regarding copyright and the use of another person's intellectual property without permission).

Aldona
gacl
regular poster

Post by gacl »

Another equally interesting book: The Songs Of Johannes Brahms