Publicity for imslp.org ?

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

naja

Publicity for imslp.org ?

Post by naja »

Hi,

I only just recently discovered imslp.org. Since i have been collecting sheet music for some years now, so it astounded me to see that imslp already exists since febuari 2006.
I think as a community this can no better benefit from growing, both for getting new material, as for sharing music to people, which in the end is what makes it worth all the effort.

So i wondered why?

I did a google search on "free sheet music" just as a little testcase. The results are quite funny, the following sentences from the main page earned us search result 194 for our best entry:
Therefore, feel free to create/edit a page with your analysis of a ... If you have old sheet music on your shelves, or public domain sheet music on your ...
I had a look at the meta keywords on the main page, and they look like this:

Code: Select all

<meta name="keywords" content="Main Page,News,Community Projects/Bach-Gesellschaft Ausgabe,Contributing scores,Contributor Portal,Internationalization,Maintenance,Workpage Auto-tagger,Accueil,Ana Sayfa,Beethoven Symphonies, S.464 (Liszt, Franz)" />
Maybe we should change this.
Also the composer pages should have good keywords i think...

Code: Select all

<meta name="keywords" content="Category:Accolay, Jean-Baptiste,Composers" />
good thing is it has the composer name in it, but maybe it should hold something like free sheet music as well, for people who search for "beethoven free sheetmusic" eg...

I don't know how good we are linked from other websites with sheetmusic, but if nobody ever checked, i dont mind to do a look around and mail some websites asking them to put us on.
apart from that ill need a lot of time to go through my collection and upload all the things that are not here yet. Right now i will stick to some schubert and scriabin -> which is almost complete!
Can we make a system for finding composers which are complete, eg a score for every work in their œuvre? A category? Maybe we can put the composer names in bold in the Category:Composers ?

greets
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Just a quick comment: to the best of my knowledge, the "keywords" meta-tag is ignored by Google (due to massive abuse by search engine spammers). We could try to work e.g. on the Main Page text, but it must always be targeted at users in the first place and only in the second place at search engines, i.e. it must absolutely not read like a list of keywords (which moreover might be penalized by Google anyway).
naja

Post by naja »

yes,

all makes sense. I just wanted to open the discussion. By no means was proposing a definite solution. I think the front page is nice as it is and by no means should scream FREE SHEETMUSIC at people, but i think we should try to find a way to get found better...