Scores featering the bass oboe

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Notenschreiber
active poster

Scores featering the bass oboe

Post by Notenschreiber »

The work pages "Messiah, HWV 56 (Handel, George Frideric)", "Fünfstimmige blasende Music (Pezel, Johann Christoph)" and
"12 Sonatas for Diverse Instruments, Op.1 (Finger, Godfrey)" contain pieces with bass oboe, but they are not included in the list
"scores featering the bass oboe". Can somebody fix this?
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Scores featering the bass oboe

Post by steltz »

This can't be done via the regular tag, since that is supposed to be only the original instrumentation.

Pezel: Technically, the string version shouldn't be tagged unless the alternate string parts are mentioned in the title. Since I'm the one who tagged it, I'll have to download it to check what the title page says, which I can only do on Monday. I don't remember now -- since February I've done probably thousands of tags. If it's a mistake, I'll remove it, if it isn't, I'll at least add the subtitle so it's a bit clearer.

Pezel and Finger: If you notice at the bottom it says "unknown arrangement tag". This is probably where your instrumentation will be picked up. Every once in a while, Davydov goes through the unknown tags to catch new ones that aren't on his list, so maybe that will do the trick.

When that will happen, I don't know. Lately, I've been getting the feeling that we are not making much headway on tagging -- there have 60+ uploads daily for a while now. When I get up in the morning and look what there is to tag, I can get through some of them, but rarely all of them, and there are still many other old ones apart from the new uploads. I'm sure the rest of the librarians are also very busy.

The short answer is that you might have to wait a bit.

As for Handel's Messiah, the arrangement tag just says double reed quartet. If the answer is that the instrumentation has to be in the arrangement header, then you may have to change this to the exact instrumentation.

Let's wait to hear from someone who knows more about headers and what gets picked up.
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Davydov »

In the case of arrangements, their scoring is determined automatically by the information given in the header. If the header isn't recognised (because it's in the wrong format, or hasn't been seen before), then this gets flagged up on a list that I check every few days. The new arrangements posted by Notenschrieber involve new combinations of instruments, so they are on this list.

Headings such as "For double reed quintet" or "For double reed quartet" do cause a problem, as they can refer to several different combinations of instruments, with no way to tell which is which without downloading the file. Over the past week I've had a lot of aborted downloads for some reason, which is why I haven't been able to do anything about the Handel arrangement yet. If people can make sure that headings always show which instruments are actually involved, it will speed up the process.

As far as the general tagging is concerned, we are indeed going at a slower pace than before. One reason is that the remaining works are almost all vocal or choral, and more often than not the existing fields for "Instrumentation" haven't been fully completed. So more often than not the files often have to be downloaded in order to determine the voices and instruments used before they can be tagged. So it's not possible to race through a list of, say, piano sonatas, pasting the same tag into each page, which helped us to make rapid progress at the start of the project.

Some composers present more difficulties than others, and it's taken me four months just to sort out the Liszt pages. Then there were 170 recently-uploaded cantatas by Graupner, all with different instrumentation (now tagged), and the J S Bach pages require splitting so that each of his several hundred vocal works can be properly tagged (now in progress). And as Steltz indicated, we also have to try to keep on top of all the new submissions every day. But the pace should quicken once the holiday season is over, and we'll get there sooner or later...
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

Hi Steltz, hi davydov,

thank you both very much for your quick help concerning my wishes for the list of the scores with bass oboe.
I was aware, that technic problems of automatic taggings are the reason for the problems, but I but don´t see any
possibility to fix it by myself.
If you find the time for another change: "oboes, english horn, bass oboe, bassoon " is better than "oboes, bass oboe, english horn, bassoon".

Best greetings, Notenschreiber