Embedding youtube?

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

nws
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Embedding youtube?

Post by nws »

Is it possible/permitted? If so how does one go about doing this? If not, it should be.

Many thanks!
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Embedding youtube?

Post by pml »

No, and … no. (You can insert images, but not YT.)

Linkage to content on YT is fine.

Cheers, PML
--
PML (talk)
nws

Post by nws »

Thanks for the response. So we have to either upload an MP4 video, or give a url link... the MP4 option is nice, but embedding from youtube would have been a lot easier and efficient for IMSLP. Thanks again.
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

You can upload videos, but not from Youtube. That requires a special extension which we don't have. Also, it's important to make sure the Youtube video is actually public domain. In many cases the videos are clear copyright violations.

Cheers,

Nicholas Lewis
nws

Post by nws »

Why would the YouTube video need to be public domain? Assuming of course the video itself is not violating copyright law.

For example, I am a composer and a pianist, I would like to post a video of mine which has a copyright, but I own all rights to this video. My sheet music on the other hand has a creative commons license.

Also, YouTube now allows certain creative commons licenses to be assigned to videos... would a video like this be acceptable?

At any rate, I suppose I'll be uploading my own videos to IMSLP, but only if they can remain protected by a copyright, or at least a creative commons license.

Thanks!
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

Yes, of course they can be under a creative commons license. If it's your own work, feel free to upload it :)

I was only worried that maybe you were interested in uploading performances of works written by composers already in the public domain, in which case the performances would most likely be copyrighted and you'd need permission.

Cheers,

Nicholas Lewis
nws

Post by nws »

Thanks, that clears things up for me! Much appreciated.