Composer Names – Misspellings and Diacritics

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Leonard Vertighel wrote:I agree that we should not worry excessively when there are several possible alternatives (redirects for the search engines might come in handy here). I do think however that we should correct spellings that are to be considered simply wrong. To put it bluntly: the name may be still recognizable, but it makes us look stupid. Also, if a certain form is generally used nowadays, I think we should go with that.
Oh I agree; I never meant to say that wrongful spellings are fine, just that we shouldn't worry too much about whether we left out a middle name or not :)

In any case, I'm working on a composer page moving special page, and it should be finished soon :)

Also, I'd rather prefer just having alternate spellings on the composer page itself, just because there is less maintenance overhead, it works with the current software naturally, and can be found using the search function on the categories (and there is a button exactly for that in the sidebar). In fact, I'll add this to the composer template right now :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I've added a "Alternate Names" field for IMSLP v0.5 that's going to be out next week, along with a composer category move special page (and a few other bells and whistles ;)).

However, I'd like to ask if someone can summarize the various prefixes in the composer names that should be moved to the end when sorting? So that I can add them in time for IMSLP v0.5.
L'alto merveilleux

Post by L'alto merveilleux »

Here's a composer listed under different spellings:

Capeller, Johann Nepomuk
Kapeller, J.N.
jobdf
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

list of german prefixes

Post by jobdf »

Here is a list of german prefixes - should moved to the end:

das
dem
den
des
der
die
ein
eine
einem
einer
eines
dsoslglece
regular poster

Post by dsoslglece »

Hi, all of you on this page...
I read today this page, after having posted yesterday something with the same requests... I noticed that many composers names are written without accented letters... for instance, Eugène Ysaÿe... (and quite few others...)..
I did spend some tine yesterday and today again, trying to change this on the page titles, but with no result (only my last upload disappeared from "Ysaye (Eugene)" page, I guess since I renamed my own sub page (sonata for cello) Ysaÿe (Eugène)...
I think it should be possible though, since I noticed some Dvořák and few others written with due respect for their name...
Could someone have a cue on how to proceed ?

Thanks
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Please use the name that is already in place instead of creating a new composer category with the exact diacriticals. Changing a composer category is best left for the admins who know the complexities involved - since it has a widespread effect on linking throughout the wiki.
dsoslglece
regular poster

Post by dsoslglece »

Hi Carolus, and believe please that I'm sorry if I created some traffic jam with my correcting the name of my post... true, I am always a bit upset to find misspellings in compositors names... and always see that as a sort of lakedaisical lack of politeness toward them... and beside the fact that it changes the prononciation or even sometimes the sens of it...

But sure too, I wouldn't try to change anything if I now that it will upset the good working order of the site !

But, isn't there a way to do that softly as could be... with soft and delicate hands ? or maybe someone from the people in charge of the site ?... when they can find the time to do it...

I know, this may be difficult to understand from someone talking mostly English (since there ain't any accents there), but accents are an important part of many language (Czech, Polish, Romanian, French, Spanish, German, Turkish, Swedish, Norwegian...) And it is always sad to see an heritage disappear...