Oops - I've done it again..(spelling error in composer name)

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Oops - I've done it again..(spelling error in composer name)

Post by aldona »

Sorry but I need a moderator to change/move a composer page I've just set up - Sergei Rachinsky should be spelled "Sergey".

(but at least these glitches are happening less often...) :oops:

AJ
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Oops - I've done it again..(spelling error in composer n

Post by Davydov »

Done :-)
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Thank you...my latest goof is that Marianne Petzold should be Petzoldt...

That is the universe telling me it is too late at night and I need to sleep.

Thank you to all mods for your patience.

AJ
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

No problem, it's fixed now.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Latest glitch - Lyudmila Ivanovna Shestakova - first name mis-spelled as 'Luydmila'.

Thank you in advance.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Looks OK now, someone must have fixed it already :)

Incidentally, we don't use middle names for Russian people any more, so her category is just "Shestakova, Lyudmila".
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Back after a bit of a break - should know by now not to create composer pages after 11.30pm and a long day at work.

August Schmid-Lindner has been mis-spelled as Schmid-Linder. Sorry once again.

AJ
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Not a problem. A correctly-named category is now in place.
aldona
active poster

Re: Oops - I've done it again..(spelling error in composer name)

Post by aldona »

Latest goof - Sands W. Forman mis-spelled as "Foreman". Sorry and thank you in advance.

Is there a way that us humble non-admins can be trained to correct composer names ourselves - I feel really bad notifying the admins about it each time... :oops:

But considering the number of new people pages I have put up, I figure my strike rate is improving a bit...

:roll:
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

In cases in which the category is for a librettist or a translator the best option is to delete the erroneous category and create a correct one. The pages beneath their categories merely point to work pages that are beneath composer categories so there is no need to re-direct work pages to the new category as there would be for a wrongly-named composer. Because only admins can delete items from the wiki your best option is to either place a request in the forums such as this or to edit the category page and add at the top the Delete template which could be in the following format: {{Delete|name misspelled, correct category already created}}. Doing this adds the page to the category Article for Deletion so that any admin checking that page can delete it. I've deleted the Foreman category and have created one for Forman.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

OK - thanks for the info - I think I'll stick to the easier option and place requests in this forum.

Today's request is...'Maria' Stanislavovna Pol should be 'Marina'. Feel free to do whatever you want to the patronymic (I've noticed these are not being used much now).

I've spent a lot more time than usual on IMSLP lately - I've been incapacitated for the past 6 weeks or so with 3 bulging discs in my lower spine and sciatic pain all the way down my right leg. Can't stand for long - can't lie down for long - The only comfortable position is to sit in front of the computer on my special ergonomic chair with my feet on a foot-rest. Even so, I exist in 2 states: (1) In excruciating pain, unable to concentrate on anything much, or (2) having taken painkillers labelled "do not drive or operate machinery", less pain but off with the fairies. So I'm surprised I haven't made a lot more errors.

Fortunately things are about to get better - I had an epidural cortisone injection yesterday, and even though I was told it could take up to a week to take effect, 24 hours later I can already feel the difference. Looking forward to being up and about more - tomorrow I'll have my first attempt at playing the piano for choir practice. In the meantime, the pottering around on IMSLP looking for 'red links' to convert to people categories, continues.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

New category is Marina Polʹ. It appears that she was the librettist for three of Cui's operas. I wonder how her last name is pronounced with the accent following the letter L? Sorry to hear about your back problems. There's plenty of "red letter" people who would hate to see you have to abandon your work on the site. I hope you feel better soon.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Renamed again to lose the final ' mark, as per our composer naming rules. Maybe that page title should be changed to make it clear that it applies to all people, not just composers.

BTW, the ' character (ь in Russian) has the effect of softening the preceding letter, so the 'l' isn't stressed.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Latest category name typo: Ranieri "Villanova" should only have the one "l".

Thank you in advance.

AJ
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Villanova category deleted and Vilanova category created.