General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

jossuk
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Editing of Discussion post

Post by jossuk »

I just encountered a "captcha error" response when attempting to edit a Discussion Board post via the pencil icon. Multiple attempts, same response. The editing worked a day or two ago, but not now.
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Editing of Discussion post

Post by Sallen112 »

Maybe clear your internet cache?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

The quote and delete icons both work, but not the edit icon. And the edit icon for this post also works.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Do you mean editing a post of your own? Then by design you're allowed to do so only for 24 hours after the initial posting.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

I do indeed mean editing a post of my own. I do see that the editing icon has disappeared for older replies, and that would be consistent with the 24-hour limit you mention.
I just ran a test reply to a "Discussion" post, and the "captcha error" response to an immediate editing attempt continues. However, the error does _not_ occur when editing a post within the Forums listing.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

But what is a "Discussion " post? How can you reach it from http://imslpforums.org/? Is there a difference between replying to an existing topic and opening your new topic?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

On the main page, left hand menu, under Participate - Recent Discussions. The resulting page doesn't include the option of opening a topic, but it does allow for replying to others' posts.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Sorry, I thought it was somewhere in imslpforums! This Recent discussions page gathers the most recent discussions in all work pages and composer categories. If you click on IMSLP#<large number> you will obtain the thread and you won't be able to add a new thread.

If you click the topic <composer, work etc> you will find this topic and perhaps older topics. You should see Add topic at the top of the page. Be beware: you must subscribe to imslp first. Subscribing to these forums is not the same thing.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

I have been registered for some time, and have done a fair amount of posting commentary. I certainly appreciate your many responses to my nudging, but it seems that the problem lies with the software. The culprit on the Discussions page (which page comes up via the Discussions link as noted in my previous post) is definitely the editing icon. If one merely holds the cursor over that icon, the description at the bottom of the page clearly reads "editcomment". The problem is that clicking on that edit link, either before or after posting a comment, gives the "captcha error" response. Again, this flawed response does not occur when posting directly into any thread on the Forums page.

In the much larger scheme of IMSLP, this is clearly an almost inconsequential item, and I can leave off belaboring the software glitch.
Thanks again for trying to come up with a solution.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Well, let's forget about the forums. Here holding the cursor on the pencil icon in either message of a discussion shows Edit thread if I this thread was started by me and if it's the first post. It shows Edit reply otherwise. It never shows editcomment. These brief messages show up below the cursor and icon, not at the page bottom. So are we starting from the same situation?

Do you have the permission to edit an average imslp page at present? Do yo have another web browser?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

When the cursor is over the icons, as you describe, at the bottom left of the respective window appears a sequence of letters and numbers, containing, among other things, the number attached to the original post to which one is replying, an ampersand, then either "quote comment" or "edit comment" or "delete comment", depending upon the icon being touched by the cursor, then =, then another number, which, I am guessing (?) attaches to the reply, then #, then "write reply" for both the quote icon and the edit icon. The delete icon does not show # or any phrase afterward.

I am using Google Chrome on a 10.6.8 Mac laptop. I just logged in with Safari, and the response is identical to that of Google.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

The error continues, and is actually rather annoying. Should this be sent to anyone in particular?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Almost a month later, and no response to the last request. Is this not the proper section of the forum to have the error addressed?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

More than a month since the last post about the software glitch, and still no takers...????