General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

infamous message when I edit a page with a link in it

Post by coulonnus »

Often I edit a page, adding a link to another web page, e.g. library. Then I click on "show preview" and I want to check the link I provided is the right one by clicking on it. When I try to come back to this edited page I always obtain the message "this page has expired" or similar and I lose the editing job I've made. Same situation if I'm working for a message in this forum.

Can anybody explain?
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: infamous message when I edit a page with a link in it

Post by Choralia »

Most (maybe all) websites allowing to login and edit contents implement some kind of "session" mechanism. This is done for various reasons including, especially, security. Session hijacking is a well known hacking technique. To prevent hijacking, sessions may be implemented in such a way that they expire under certain conditions, such as leaving the website. So, when you leave a website where you had an active session and then you go back to the same website, your session may have expired.

Suggestion: when you have a session open and click on a link, use the right button of the mouse, and select "open in a new window" or "open in a new tab". By doing so, the window or tab that you were using will remain open and active on the original website. This will (hopefully) prevent your active session to expire, so you can go back to the original website and complete what you were doing on it.

Max
coulonnus
active poster

Re: infamous message when I edit a page with a link in it

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks. I checked with this forum. Hope it will work as well with an imslp work page. :-)