General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Richard Pascoe
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Uploading First PDF Score

Post by Richard Pascoe »

Hi,

I just joined IMSLP and want to upload a corrected PDF score of "Pur ti miro" by Monteverdi.

I used this IMSLP Score and corrected any mistakes I found:

ACT 3 - Leningrad: Muzyka, 1974. Plate 1541.

On the Monteverdi page here:

https://imslp.org/wiki/L%27Incoronazion ... ,_Claudio)

I can see that a user called Alsamoshelan has already created an item for "Pur ti miro"

How can I do the same but with a Public Domain license?

This is a one-off because I only corrected the score by accident. I wanted to study "Pur ti miro" and I found the Leningrad score in error. But I don't anticipate that happening again so this will probably be my only upload. So I was hoping someone would help with step by step instructions so I don't mess up and so that it appears in the correct category on the Monteverdi page.

Thanks

Richard
Richard Pascoe

Re: Uploading First PDF Score

Post by Richard Pascoe »

Hi

I went ahead and uploaded the score but received a notice of improper submission for criteria:

Your upload was deleted for No(s).3 and 10 of the reasons listed below

Could anyone tell me how to amend the file or re-upload so that it is correct.

This really will be my only contribution to this site. I have no intention of correcting any more early music scores. It really was a coincidence of my wanting to learn Pur ti miro and the Russian score here being in error. I do not have the time or the reason to spend a year learning the in and outs of this site. Please help me get this up so I can go back to studying Barber's Adagio for Strings. B flat minor is good practice for guitarists like me.

Thanks

Richard
Richard Pascoe

Post by Richard Pascoe »

I managed to work out where I went wrong.

Here's the lowdown:

1. If you using Sibelius or Finale to typeset old scanned Public Domain scores then you must first create a composer page for yourself. So create your account first but do not use the Add File menu yet.

2. After you have created your account and waited the 24 hours for account approval then you can create your composer page following the instructions in the guide below:

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Composer_Portal

3. After submitting your composer page it will be empty except for the information you entered into the fields (your name, genre, age, etc)

4. Now when you go to the Add File menu you will see new options for submitting files:

[*]New Arrangement (your arrangements of other composers' works - never of your own pieces)

[*]New Composition (presumably you'll use this most, after setting up pages for new pieces)

[*]New Edition (your editions of other composers' works - never of your own pieces)

5. Choose the right upload option for your work. The upload page appears. Fill in the details and upload your file.

6. Now your composer page will display the file as your work and contribution.

7. Then go to the page of the composer whose work you have typeset. Go to the Add File menu and the three options in Step 4 are available for you to use again. This time for uploading your PDF to the actual composer's page. Make sure you add your PDF to the right category. So for my upload it was the composer page Monteverdi and I chose New Edition in the Add File menu and then made sure that I chose the Vocal Scores category.

8. You cannot chose a Public Domain license for New Editions of old public domain works. The law prohibits this so IMSLP offers the various CC license. I chose the least restrictive because I have corrected the score of some very serious errors ranging from a wrong note to a possessive pronoun with the wrong gender so I wish to make this corrected score available to everyone including commercial opera companies.

9. Now your PDF is part of your own composer page and after a re-upload is now part of the Composer's page of whose work you typeset.

10. After this go and listen to "My Foolish Heart" by Bill Evans for relaxation purposes.
Richard Pascoe

Post by Richard Pascoe »

Awesome. The admin were really cool and updated my file to the final version. When I first started on the Monteverdi song I thought this will take four or five days. It took double that but it was instructional.

Also I found the PayPal button. Like most musicians I would describe my income as low or non-existent but I do find £10 a year to donate to the Internet Archive in acknowledgement of the hard work that they do to maintain the site. I will donate to IMSLP because this is a good idea. It will take a while but that PayPal button will be clicked.

Thanks

Richard
Richard Pascoe

Post by Richard Pascoe »

Clicked the PayPal button today and donated $10 which is £7.70 at today's rate. Well I should say I donated using someone else's PayPal account after giving them the money.

Keep up the good work IMSLP members.

Richard