Poll: User categories = Flute/Recorder etc

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

I think there should be...

One category only (Flute/Recorder) which includes all recorders and transverse flutes
8%
One category for Recorder and one category for (Transverse) Flute (which includes also piccolo, alto flute, bass flute)
50%
One category for Recorder and one separate category for each type of Transverse Flute
25%
One separate category for each type of Recorder (sopranino, treble, alto, tenor, bass etc) and one separate category for each type of Transverse Flute
8%
Other (please comment)
8%

Total votes: 12

aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Poll: User categories = Flute/Recorder etc

Post by aldona »

What do all the people who like blowing into (or across) hollow pieces of wood or metal prefer as user categories on IMSLP? (see poll above)
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Poll: User categories = Flute/Recorder etc

Post by Peter »

So be it: "rec" is now split in "fl" and "rec", which means all rec users are now only recorder players.
aldona wrote:'The flute is not an instrument with a good moral effect. It is too exciting.' - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)
He probably didn't know Marsyas. After all, flute players can't even play their instrument upside-down...
homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

LC Categories

Post by homerdundas »

Seeing as I'm a librarian...

The Library of Congress (LC) has solved the problem of music categories a long time ago. Generally in the IMSLP there seems to be some re-inventing going on... Rather than trying so hard we might just use the LC categories?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Well , this is not about the music categories , but about the categories of the user boxes, nothing more than that... see Imslp:instr

The problem of categorizing music has been discussed in other threads, but can't remind which one. The LOC system integration is planned, albeit with not the highest priority... Anyway it would involve recategorisation of 10500 works.
aldona
active poster

Re: Poll: User categories = Flute/Recorder etc

Post by aldona »

Peter wrote:So be it: "rec" is now split in "fl" and "rec", which means all rec users are now only recorder players.
aldona wrote:'The flute is not an instrument with a good moral effect. It is too exciting.' - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)
He probably didn't know Marsyas. After all, flute players can't even play their instrument upside-down...
Thank you for the category clarification!

As for playing the flute upside-down, I'm sure my parents have an old photo of my brother doing just that (age perhaps 10-12), hanging upside down from some piece of household furniture by his knees...

I have certainly been known to play the flute lying down. Not very good for breath control, though.

I wonder what it is about flutes that generates so much bad press and superstitions - whenever there is a story or myth about someone being enchanted or led astray or having a spell placed on them with the aid of music, there always seems to be a flute involved somewhere.

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis