General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

BarneyFiver
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

can't submit edit

Post by BarneyFiver »

When I attempt to submit an edit, I get:

To help protect against automated edit spam, please type the two words you see in the box below:

at the top of the page, followed by the edit box. The edit box contains the entire wikitext of the page, a lot more than two words. And where exactly am I supposed to type these two (or 500 rather) words? In the box where I see them?

I know, this sounds like a totally ridiculous problem. And you're right, it is! BTW, this is my first edit, so I don't know what to expect. Naturally, my expectations are fulfilled in this case.
bicinium
active poster

Re: can't submit edit

Post by bicinium »

What you're supposed to be seeing is a captcha. Maybe it's not showing up for some reason?
BarneyFiver

Post by BarneyFiver »

There's no Captcha appearing. And the "box" you're supposed to type the "two words" of Captcha in doesn't appear either. Only the edit window "box" is what appears right after that sentence. Is it supposed to be a pop-up? I have javascript on and am not blocking popups. I'm using Safari on an iPad, but I get the same problem with Firefox.

Why is there a Captcha on edits here anyway? You mean to tell me everyone has to do a stupid Captcha every time we edit??? How do I disable this nonsense? Captchas never work right for me. It's hard to make out the letters in the image, I'll get it wrong often. And if the Captcha is a photo with a grid ("choose all images with cars" sorta thing), I get that wrong almost every time. Captchas don't work, they're a royal pain in the ass, a gross time waster, extra useless keystroke/mouseclick/touchscreen work, and will result in me never going to that website again. You've got to disable it, PLEASE!
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

BarneyFiver wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:03 am Captchas don't work, they're a royal pain in the ass, a gross time waster, extra useless keystroke/mouseclick/touchscreen work, and will result in me never going to that website again. You've got to disable it, PLEASE!
Could you please suggest a way to prevent that thousands of fake edits are done by bots, as it happened in the past on the IMSLP website? This would be very helpful.

Max
BarneyFiver

Post by BarneyFiver »

I'm not a bot, if that's what you're implying. Can you or someone just fix this problem please? I can't save my edits. I see no captcha or anything like it, and I don't know if that's really the problem - one user just suggested it, is all. Is there a helpdesk here that can look into my account and do something, or is this forum all there is? Maybe I'm in the wrong place. I need some help here. I've found a couple IMSLP emails, but I've got no response. I just recently set up this account, and I can't do anything with it.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Which page are you trying to edit?

At the top right of this page, does it say Log in \/ or is there a human head showing your name and other items when you move the mouse on it?
BarneyFiver

Post by BarneyFiver »

Any page. It's the same. Yes I'm logged in. My name's up there at the top with my menu items: Talk, Preferences, Watchlist, Contributions, Logout, and Naxos Music Library, a page that was deleted over a year ago, wonder why that's still in my menu... I can edit fine, get the wikitext in the edit window, make my changes, and I click Save Page and the page reloads and shows exactly the same page, edit window, etc, except it's added that notice right above the three buttons on top of the edit window (Wikitext, Preview, and Changes). The notice telling me to type the two words I see (?) into the box below (!) but there are no two words and there is no box. The sentence just ends with a colon. There's nothing clickable or highlightable in the whitespace area after the colon. Clicking Save Page again changes nothing.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Perhaps IMSLP is linked enough to WP to prevent you from editing since you were banned there.
BarneyFiver

Post by BarneyFiver »

I haven't been banned anywhere, I'm a new user. I just set up this account and have never edited before. This is a technical problem, and I need somebody to figure out why the Save edit comes up with this strange message. Your comments are not helpful and are instead abusive and inflammatory. You should leave now and never post here again, you are not wanted here. Moderator, please remove this person, he is obviously a troublemaker, and likely not just here on IMSLP. We don't need his kind here.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Perhaps a wild guess but this box could be out of the field you see. Try typing <ctrl> <minus sign> several times to shrink all the texts you see and perhaps this box will show up in an edge.

Or do you have another browser?
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

BarneyFiver wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:17 pm I haven't been banned anywhere, I'm a new user. I just set up this account and have never edited before. This is a technical problem, and I need somebody to figure out why the Save edit comes up with this strange message. Your comments are not helpful and are instead abusive and inflammatory. You should leave now and never post here again, you are not wanted here. Moderator, please remove this person, he is obviously a troublemaker, and likely not just here on IMSLP. We don't need his kind here.
I mean, the evidence speaks for itself
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BarneyFiver
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

I created an account to test this. When I make a negligible modification in a work page and click on save it says To help protect against automated edit spam, please type the two words you see in the box below: But the box below says only I am not a robot and you just have to click the button in this box. And it works.

If there are still troubles because a homonym of BarneyFiver made bad things in Wikipedia you can create a new account.
BarneyFiver

Post by BarneyFiver »

I tried shrinking the font size. There's nothing else there offscreen that isn't showing up. As for your test, why did you create a new account to test? What happens when you edit with the account you have already? Is there some difference in the setup? It is odd that you don't get two words like it says, but just a notrobot checkbox. That's strange behavior too.

For browsers, I'm using Safari which is what Apple gives you, but I've tried Firefox and still the same problem. I could try Chrome but I hate Chrome. Actually I hate Safari too. AND Firefox. Know any good browsers? :-/
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Can you try to make a new edit but this time when the Captcha comes up, can you take a Print Screen of the webpage your trying to enter this in and post it here or a link to the picture?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

BarneyFiver wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:51 am As for your test, why did you create a new account to test?
Simply because once you have done a few "useful" edits the imslp server trusts you and no longer bothers you. :-) When you create your new account, reply carefully to the few questions that come up.
What happens when you edit with the account you have already?
My edit is accepted without fuss.
Is there some difference in the setup? It is odd that you don't get two words like it says, but just a notrobot checkbox. That's strange behavior too.
Well, perhaps a lack of care of our admins.
For browsers, I'm using Safari which is what Apple gives you, but I've tried Firefox and still the same problem. I could try Chrome but I hate Chrome. Actually I hate Safari too. AND Firefox. Know any good browsers? :-/
Join a forum about browsers. :-) I am with Firefox.