A series of blog posts regarding a project I'm working on

Posts related to the IMSLP Journal

Moderators: Philidor, NLewis

imslp
Site Admin

A series of blog posts regarding a project I'm working on

Post by imslp »

Philidor, I just wanted to run this past you and see if it works. Basically I'm doing a project with the Harvard Wind Ensemble, where I'm going to write a wind ensemble piece for them (among a few other composers). The twist is that they would like me to blog about the process, especially as my understanding is that the wind ensemble will be pretty involved in the process. So I wanted to see if you think there is any problem with me posting articles on the blog for this purpose.

Ultimately the result (and a recording) will be posted on IMSLP under a Creative Commons license, if everything goes smoothly.
Philidor
Groundskeeper
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: A series of blog posts regarding a project I'm working o

Post by Philidor »

That sounds absolutely great. Perfect for the Journal. It perhaps would have an element of soap opera to it - I mean that respectfully - in that there'll be several episodes and readers may get 'hooked'? Dickens used the same technique to suck readers in...

Good Tweet material too, plus excellent for forums. Could you take a camera along to rehearsals? Musicians photograph well. The Journal likes a 500 px image width....

I see the Harvard Wind Ensemble is quite famous. It's been going for 50 years and premiered P.D.Q. Bach! :D

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~hwe/About.html

If Nick or I can help with typesetting or anything else, just say.

The only thing that occurs to me - which has surely occurred to you and you've got it in hand - is you may have to tread carefully about mentioning individuals, e.g. check draft copy with them first which may slow things up a bit. But as they've asked you to blog that changes the dynamic. It's as if you've been appointed the project historian. That gives you a lot of freedom to write what you want. They probably want the publicity. Good. They can publicise the Journal, and IMSLP generally, on Harvard sites.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

It really seems like a win win proposition to me. HWE wants the publicity, IMSLP journal would like some articles. Perfect ;)

Not sure how many posts I will do, but we'll know in due time.

P.S. I'll see what photos I can get. There will be some paintings involved anyhow.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Gesamtkunswerk? Sounds wonderful :)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

^^ I'd be expecting a bit more kunst before one gets the gesamt

This sounds really interesting and a good addition to the Journal.
--
PML (talk)
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Wagner never seemed to quite get the culinary arts in, though :lol:
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"