Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

NLewis
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Duet vs. Duo

Post by NLewis »

I can't seem to find anything codifying these two terms, which essentially mean the same thing (with duo being only slightly more ambiguous). In addition, there doesn't seem to be any preference on IMSLP. Should there be?

EDIT TO ADD: In addition, does minuet constitute a standard type of work? I think it does, though I may be strongly disagreed with here. It seems that since the category for minuets is called "minuets" that should be the standard. With that in mind, should we change the work pages using the Italian spelling "Menuet", and import it to the English spelling?
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Duet vs. Duo

Post by Davydov »

The list of standardized work types for categorization purposes is here, but there are separate rules for determining whether the title of a work is generic or distinctive, and which language should be used.
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say ;)

I guess it's not important since they all tag the same, which was never in question. However, the seperate rules do not say what makes a kind of work standardized in title:

If the title is the name of a standard type of work (e.g. symphony, suite, string quartet, piano trio, nocturne), then English is preferred:

I was wondering if we should change such titles within the overarching category called "minuets" to "minuet" when they differ, such as "menuet" or "minuetto". Another thing I often see is the use of "concerti" for italian titles. In these cases, "concerto" is an English imported word, and should follow English rules. Therefore, the plural should be "concertos" instead of "concerti". Thus far (and many of these pages were created prior to the manual of style) I've seen several different varients, but never a standard for such. What should we do with these? Change them, despite the Italian titles?

The most obvious example of "12 concerti" by Correli. Shouldn't this be changed to "12 Concertos" ?
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Yes, for our purposes the plural of concerto is concertos (as in the category name), but we should avoid changing "Menuetto" to "Minuet" in a title, for example, as they don't mean exactly the same thing. I'd strongly suggest looking at the Library of Congress authority (from the link on the score submission guide page) to see whether or not they've standardised a title into English, or if it's been left in the original language. They're not infallible (as is often pointed out on this forum :D ), but if they've changed "Menuets" to "Minuets" then it should be safe for us to do so as well.