Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Handling different versions of works

Post by Davydov »

IMSLP has quite a few works that exist in multiple versions, mostly where a work has been revised by its composer, or where different people have attempted to reconstruct an unfinished work (like Mozart's Reqiuem). Because these different versions (and arrangements of them) can appear on the same page, it's not always easy to make it clear which version is which, and the general information section can become a little cluttered when trying to give the dates and publication details for each of the available versions.

So I've tried to come up with a way to make this clearer, as shown on these pages:
Each of the available performing versions is labelled "A", "B", "C", with a distinctive typeface to make it obvious which version is being talked about in the headings and the general information section. I'd appreciate any feedback as to whether this might be more or less confusing than repeating the terms "original version", "revised version", "3rd version", etc. on the pages.

The colour scheme of the symbols can always be tweaked if people feel strongly about this, although it's intended to blend in with the new design :)
steltz
active poster

Re: Handling different versions of works

Post by steltz »

Cool! Looks good to me.
bsteltz
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Damn good idea, seeing as we have several versions of Mozart’s Great Mass in C, or Fauré’s Requiem, which fall into the same boat, let alone the cases where the composer catalogue specifies multiple versions (one of Berlioz’s pieces goes all the way up to version F). Nice template.

*whistles*

PML
--
PML (talk)
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Many thanks for those positive comments, and editors are welcome to start using the {{Version}} template on pages where it's needed.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

I like it too, it's a very good....quick visual and gives all pertinent info nicely and easily.