Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

pjones235
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Categorizing movements

Post by pjones235 »

When tagging works such as suites, do you need to include tags for the type of movements? For example, if one movement was a bourrée, would you include the bourrees tag for the work page? :?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Categorizing movements

Post by KGill »

No - each work as a whole should get one work-type tag only, so in this case it would just be tagged as 'suites'. The exception, if I recall correctly, is when a work page contains a compilation of multiple works that were not grouped as such by the composer. In that case, each would be tagged individually.
pjones235
active poster

Post by pjones235 »

Alrighty. Thanks!
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Welcome to the tagging team! You may or may not have read this, so I will post the link: http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Tagging

It gives a good overview of the tagging process, but is an awful lot of information to absorb all at once.

I also just want to add to Kenny's comments about compilations, that there are quite a lot of compilations that are due to be split apart so that the individual pieces can be on their own page under their composer's work lists. These have a notice at the top of them saying something to the effect that the work is due to be split up.

Don't waste your time tagging these -- it inevitably involves downloading them, seeing what's in them, and then listing all the tags, which is a waste of time if the page is going to be split up anyway. Also, leaving the page on the list of untagged works is at least a reminder that it needs to be split.
bsteltz