Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

rhymesandchymes
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Vivian Fine pieces needing genre tags

Post by rhymesandchymes »

Dear tag team--I compiled this list a few days ago. Apologies if some of these have since been tagged. Tia for the tagging.

Asphodel
Canticles from the Other Side of the River
The Confession
Ma's in Orbit
Madrigali Spirituali
Melos
Music for Flute (alto flute), Oboe (English horn), and Cello
The Nightingale
Three Pieces for Violin and Piano
Second Solo for Oboe
Toccatas and Arias for Harpsichord
The Triple Goddess
A Song for St. Cecilia's Day (add tag for Religious Works)

Above list sorted by date added to IMSLP:

1/19 The Triple Goddess

2/6 Melos
The Nightingale

2/7 The Confession
Ma's in Orbit

2/8 Second Solo for Oboe

2/11 Asphodel

2/16 Three Pieces for Violin and Piano

2/21 Madrigali Spirituali

2/24 Canticles from the Other Side of the River
A Song for St Cecilia's Day – add tag for Religious Works
pjones235
active poster

Re: Vivian Fine pieces needing genre tags

Post by pjones235 »

Sure thing. Though, I'm having a hard time identifying the work types of these pieces. I don't know if I'm the only one struggling... Could you tell me the work types? It'll help hurry the tagging. Thanks!
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

@pjjones235: the work type tag must go by title or subtitle, according to library rules worldwide, although they call it "uniform title".

So if a work doesn't have a title that automatically gives a genre, nor a subtitle that gives a genre, then you have to use "piece", which is the instrumental generic.

Most of the works on this list (unless there are subtitles I am not seeing) will be "piece" except for the Canticles, Madrigali, Toccatas and Arias.

The tag "song" is a generic for vocal works (along with a couple of other generics), but it can be used for instrumental works if the word is in the title. If the Song for St. Cecilia is vocal, then it would be "sacred song", otherwise I'm not sure we use that for instrumental works. I'd have to ask on the page for the taggers.

Hope this helps.

[edit] -- have started tagging -- some of the larger vocal works have the generic tag "secular cantatas". Also, because of unusual instrumentations, some of these will not come up under the instrumentation combinations for a while, since those combinations have to be manually entered the first time they are used. For the moment, they say "unknown tag" but the type tags are at least there.

[edit2] -- there is a minor problem with the tagging of The Nightingale. If the percussion gets tagged, this will come up as "for 2 people". I have tagged it as just for mezzo, because anyone downloading it will see clearly on the work page that the singer must do some percussion herself.

[edit3] -- done, though someone else did a couple of them (thanks to whoever!).
bsteltz
rhymesandchymes
forum adept

Dear tag team,

Below is the instrumentation of the pieces in question. Thought it might help you to be able to see them all at a glance.

btw, I made the request for Religious Works tag for Song for St. Cecilia's Day based your tagging of a Mozart Mass.

Many thanks for all your work on these pieces. I don't know anything about the technical aspects of tagging but I can see it requires quite a bit of thought to get it right!

VOCAL WORKS
Asphodel - soprano and piano
The Confession - soprano, flute, violin, viola, cello, and piano
The Nightingale - mezzo-soprano, accompanying herself on percussion
A Song for St. Cecilia's Day - mixed chorus, soprano and baritone soloists, string orchestra and 2 trumpets.
INSTRUMENTAL WORKS
Canticles from the Other Side of the River - violin, cello, flute, clarinet, percussion, and piano
Ma's in Orbit - Violin, double bass, percussion and piano
Madrigali Spirituali - string quartet and trumpet
Melos - solo double bass
Three Pieces for Violin and Piano
Second Solo for Oboe
The Triple Goddess - concert band: piccolo, flutes (4), oboe, B-flat clarinets (3), bass clarinet, bassoon, B-flat trumpets (4), horns in F (4), tenor trombones (2), bass trombone, euphonium, tuba, alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax, timpani, percussion
rhymesandchymes
forum adept

CORRECTION: Asphodel instrumentation is soprano, flute, clarinet, violin, viola, cello, percussion, and piano
rhymesandchymes
forum adept

Hi all, Thanks for tagging these pieces. Just went through them. Can you can add these tags? Thanks!

Asphodel:
Scores featuring the voice; Scores featuring the soprano voice; English language

The Confession:
Scores featuring the voice; Scores featuring the soprano voice

Madrigali Spirituali:
Scores featuring the trumpet; Scores featuring the violin; Scores featuring the viola; Scores featuring the cello; Scores featuring string ensemble

Ma's in Orbit:
Scores featuring the piano, Scores featuring the violin, Scores featuring the double bass, Scores featuring percussion; For 4 players

Music for Flute, Oboe and Cello
Scores featuring the flute; Scores featuring the oboe; Scores featuring the cello

The Triple Goddess:
So there's no genre tag For band or For concert band? How strange.
rhymesandchymes
forum adept

One more: maybe String quartet for Madrigali Spirituali?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

1) Asphodel has the instrumentation you are asking for in the instrumentation field, and these are the tags that are added, so I'm not sure what the problem is, apart from the fact that you will have to wait a while for this particular combination to be manually added so it can be recognized.

2) The extra tags you are asking for are automatically added when the system recognizes the new combination of instruments. As long as it says "unknown tag", the "for soprano" etc. won't show up.

Please be patient. Because of the volume of WIMA contributions, we are not keeping up with the tagging, and this is still a volunteer project.
bsteltz
rhymesandchymes
forum adept

After I sent my post asking for the additional tags I realized it might come off sounding imperious and demanding, and also had the radical thought that maybe I didn't fully understand the tagging process. My sincere apologies.

I do understand that this is a volunteer project and frankly am in awe of the dedication of all of you.

I am very grateful to IMSLP for providing a place where my mother's music will be easily available to generations of musicians. I had been looking for years for such a place and had just about despaired when a friend told me about IMSLP. It was the answer to my prayers, beyond my expectations. Thank you.

Re Asphodel--my "Correction" post referred to my own mistake on the instrumentation in the post immediately preceding. Didn't make that clear--sorry.