Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Pepusch, Quintet

Post by steltz »

I can't work out the behaviour of this page:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Quintet_(Pepusch, ... ristopher)

It has no tags, but it doesn't say "unknown tag", nor does the work come up on the untagged list.

I've added a comment about tagging, since I think it will need a name change, but in the meantime, I need to at least ensure that it will come up on the untagged list, otherwise it will disappear into the ether . . .
bsteltz
Notenschreiber
active poster

Re: Pepusch, Quintet

Post by Notenschreiber »

The above quintet is Pepusch´s concerto op.8 No.6. The full title of the first edition is:
VI Concerts / a 2 Flutes à Bec, 2 Flutes Traversieres/Hautbois ou Violons&Basse Continue/Composée par /
MONSIEUR PEPUSCH/ VIII me Ouvrage/A Amsterdam chez Jeanne Roger/ No 434

I guess, that the quintet is incomplete, because for example No.1 and No.2 of op.8 have
4 movements, which is the standard for works of this type.

Another remark concercing the flute sonatas of Frederick II, which recently have been uploaded. The sonatas are for flute and bc,
like the other ones at IMSLP, compare http://opac.rism.info (Enter SpiF 154 and SpiF 190 in the search window)
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Well it looks to be the first two movements of this piece, described as a Sonata for 2 flutes, 2 violins and continuo on RISM:

http://opac.rism.info/search?documentid=806252200

The piece isn't identified there by opus number, but none of the other Pepusch works seem to be either. As IMSLP doesn't use opus numbers either, we could just move this to "Sonata for 2 flutes and 2 violins in F major (Pepusch, John Christopher)". Maybe Notenschreiber knows of a catalogue of Pepusch's works that could be used to give more accurate titles to some of the works in this category?

Incidentally, the reason the work isn't coming up as untagged is a bug, presumably caused by the special arrangement tags further up the page.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

The correct title should be something like "6 concertos for 2 Flutes a Bec and 2 Flutes traversieres or Oboes or Violins and Continuo". There are several modern
editions of these concertos. I have here No. 1 and No.2 of the Amadeus-Verlag, from which I quoted the title in my first post. The concerto No.6 can be found here: http://www.stretta-music.com/pepusch-co ... -1766.html. The Sonata in RISM is obviously the same as concerto No.6. It is a copy from the middle of the
18th century, whereas the concertos are printed c. 1718.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Thanks. We'd have to use "6 Concertos, Op.8" as the page title, for conciseness :)

Is it likely that any of Pepusch's other works on IMSLP belong to the same set? It's difficult to tell at a glance, because the existing titles aren't very informative, and don't have opus numbers.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thanks for identifying it. Grove's entry for op.8 is: "VI concerts, 2 rec, 2 fl/ob/vn, bc (Amsterdam, c1717–18) [not all playable with this scoring]; ed. D. Lasocki (London, 1974)". It is therefore entirely possible that we have the rest on separate pages, since the scoring would be slightly different for some.

I will create a page for "6 Concertos, op.8" with some comments to that effect.

[Edit] Page moved and tagged for the one instrumentation we know. Do we know what the bug is that caused the invisibility of the "untagged page" tag, and is it likely to be repeated?
bsteltz
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

All 6 concertos are for 2 recorders and 2 Flutes/Oboes/Violins and continuo. From the preface in the "Amadeus"-Edition:

"The upper pair of parts is constantly headed "Flauto primo" and "Flauto secundo", the lower "Hautbois Primo" and "Hautbois Secondo" and the figured bass
"Organo e Violoncello", which implies, that the author has a standard scoring in mind. ... Though the more usual treble recorder can´t take part in Concertos 2
and 3 (which reach below f'´), this provides an excellent opportunity of rediscovering the great charm of a descant recorder."

So it becomes clear, that the remark in Grove only means, that different recorders must be used.

I had a look at the other compositions on the work page of Pepusch and i don´t think, that any of them belongs to op.8.

Edit: We have a "Sonata in F major" which is for 2 Oboes, strings, continuo as arrangement from M. Rondeau. I could have a look in all concerto op.8, with one
exception: op.8/4 in F major. It is posssible, that Rondeaus arrangement is derived from this concerto. Perhaps one should ask him.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I have sent an email, let's see what he says.
bsteltz
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

He says he can't remember, it was a while ago. I will put this on my list of things to eventually get to, to go through the other Pepusch works we have to see if they are from the same set, and then move them.
bsteltz
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

The sonata in F (M. Rondeau) has nothing to do with op.8. That´s clear now, because I bought op.8/4 and compared the music. The only work from op.8
we have is No. 2 (and 2 movements of No.6). I will delete the corresponding remark on the work page, if nobody disagree.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thanks for checkig that out. Your idea too edit the page is good, but maybe also put something like "not part of the op.8 set" just in case someone forgets that you already went through this research. . . .
bsteltz