6 String Quartets, Op.12 (Abel, Carl Friedrich)

Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

Notenschreiber
active poster

6 String Quartets, Op.12 (Abel, Carl Friedrich)

Post by Notenschreiber »

The tagging should be augmented according to my entry in the instrumentation list.
pjones235
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: 6 String Quartets, Op.12 (Abel, Carl Friedrich)

Post by pjones235 »

Shall it include arrangement's instrumentation?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I will download and check these tomorrow, but I don't think the flute and string trio versions are not arrangements. They are either alternate instrumentations for all 6, or it's a case of one or two of them, in which case we should notate which ones.

If the BNF oboe arrangements are uploaded, then the Arrangements header would take care of that instrumentation.

For now, the two tags that are there will take care of the original instrumentation, so nothing else is needed.

By the way, this is now under "A Second Sett of Six Quartettos, op.12", because that is what Grove Music lists as the original title.
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Our generic title rule would apply if these are simply string quartets. Since there appears to be optional alternate instrumentation involved it might not apply though.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

@Carolus: does that mean that "A Second Sett of Six Quartettos, op.12" is the correct title for this? (The first violin part has the header on each page "Violino o Flauto Primo" -- and for all 6 quartets.)
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Possibly so, since they're not standard string quartets. I would check LOC and other sources as well and ask p.davydov. They're the typical generic type of quartet from the era, where one has the option of taking the top part on violin or flute, sometimes oboe as well. In any case, it was a good idea to change from "String Quartets", though they could end up as 6 Quartets, Op.12 - which is how I recall we've handled similar cases in the past.