Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

Rob Peters
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Where to put this arrangement?

Post by Rob Peters »

I'm about to upload a suite I once wrote for the school orchestra of the Maastricht conservatorium - and which consists of 3 orchestrated piano pieces by Mozart.
Problem is that the original pieces each have a different work page, so I can't put it under "arrangements and transcriptions".
What to do with this? Create a new page for the suite on Mozart's composer page?
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Where to put this arrangement?

Post by Davydov »

We have a similar situation with Tchaikovsky's Suite No.4, which consists of orchestrations of pieces by Mozart. This comes under "Tchaikovsky, Pyotr", because he's assembled parts together to create something new. On the same basis, your suite should go under your own name, with cross-references to your work from the appropriate Mozart pages. You can see how this is done from here
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Ah yes - I was thinking about that piece myself, since the menuet and gigue are featured in my orchestration as well (I assembled my suite in 1994, long before I knew about this particular Tsjaikowski work... otherwise I would have refrained from doing basically the same thing, naturally. Still, the stylistic differences are big enough to justify different orchestrations, I guess...)

Problem is, I feel arrangements of other composers' works don't really belong on my own composer page. In the Tsjaikowski case it's different because 1) he assigned the work an opus number and 2) it fitted in a series of other orchestral suites.
Maybe I could just upload the individual movements to the respective Mozart pages, with links to the other movements under "Misc. Comments"?
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

It depends whether you consider it to be a work in 3 movements, or 3 separate works?
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

A work in 3 movements, really... but since I don't want it on my composer page, I don't see another solution.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Actually, since your arrangement is a single entity made up of three different Mozart works, it can be classified as a "collection" under the main composer's category (Mozart). All you have to do when creating the workpage is to add the following bit of code (an extra field) in an unused field such as Librettist: |Page Type=Collection
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

That sounds like a good solution, thanks!